NYU Steinhardt is committed to funding new awards that support the development of promising scholarship that fosters the health, development, and wellbeing of people and communities around the world, and when relevant, that aid Steinhardt faculty in securing external funding for these groundbreaking projects. Awards are up to $10,000 over one year (September 1 - August 31) with funding decisions announced in early May. The next deadline for applications is March 2023.
Proposals that feature the following criteria will receive priority consideration:
- Interdisciplinary work and/or a cross-department or cross-center team
- Collaboration between researchers and community-based partners
- Early career faculty (e.g., receipt of doctorate within the past seven years)
- Potential to lead to external funding
All full-time Steinhardt faculty (tenure-track, clinical) and other scholars with PI status are eligible to apply. Applicants must not have received Steinhardt Faculty Challenge Grant funding within the two previous years.
The review committee will evaluate proposals by considering the following criteria and may seek comments from other colleagues at the University:
- Potential for leading to external funding.
- Experience and potential of the lead investigator to conduct the proposed project.
- Significance and potential for advancing the relevant field.
- Creativity in approach, methods, and/or concept.
- Feasibility of the project.
- Clarity of the aim, question, or problem.
- Dissemination plans.
Recipients are required to report and present on the outcomes of their funded project, and to participate in Steinhardt research, department, or center-sponsored activities and initiatives relevant to their award.