Our Nutrition and Dietetics program fully prepares students to meet the educational knowledge and skills specified by ACEND's accreditation standards as part of the requirements to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN). The complete set of requirements includes:
- The Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD). This is ACEND’s term for the collection of undergraduate courses that meet its accreditation standards. The core science, nutrition, foods, and food management courses in the Nutrition and Dietetics concentration meet the knowledge requirements. The Department’s courses list specific planned learning experiences. Learn more about the accredited NYU Steinhardt DPD.
- Statement of DPD Verification. Students obtain this in their final year of undergraduate study upon completion of the bachelor’s degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. Students applying to Dietetic Internships before graduation should request a “Declaration of Intent to finish the DPD” via DICAS.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. This requirement is met by completing the courses required for our BS in Nutrition and Food Studies with a Nutrition and Dietetics concentration or BS in Global Public Health/Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Dietetic internship. Students with either a Declaration of Intent or a DPD Verification may apply to enter Dietetic Internships that meet the ACEND's accreditation standards. ACEND lists accredited internship programs throughout the United States on its website. Post-DPD students apply for internships through a national computer-matching program. More information about the NYU Dietetic Internship Program is available here.
- Verification of Internship Completion. This is obtained from the Dietetic Internship Director when all Internship requirements are fulfilled.
At this point, students may apply to the ACEND’s Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) to take the dietetic registration examination and become RDN-eligible on the CDR Registry. This application requires submission of the Verification Statements from the DPD and Internship.
Students who pass the examination earn the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist credential.
The NYU Steinhardt Didactic Program in Dietetics
In order to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, you must complete an accredited DPD Program.Explore the DPD
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics has updated its requirements for becoming a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. Starting in 2024, those wishing to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist must hold a master's degree in order to take the Commission on Dietetic Registration credentialing exam to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. To enable undergraduates to progress smoothly toward Registered Dietitian Nutritionist credentials, our department is developing an option to complete a 5-year combined BS/MS degree.
Student Membership in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Students in DPD programs or Dietetic Internships are eligible to join the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. For information about the organization, its benefits, and its membership requirements, consult the Academy’s website.
Learn more about how to join the Student Committee of the Greater New York Dietetic Association.
The NYU Didactic Program in Dietetics is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2290, Chicago, IL 60606-6995 1-800-877-1600, ext. 5400, until June 30, 2030.