Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt

How to Apply
BS, Nutrition and Food Studies: Nutrition and Dietetics/MS Nutrition and Dietetics

Open only to BS, Nutrition and Food Studies: Nutrition and Dietetics students in their sophomore years at NYU, this dual degree allows you to earn a bachelor of science in Nutrition and Food Studies: Nutrition and Dietetics and a master of science in Nutrition and Dietetics in as little as five years. Undergraduates can take courses toward their graduate degree and complete the MS in as little as a year or 18 months of additional graduate study.

Application Deadlines

Students will apply for the BS/MS in their sophomore year.

Fall deadline: February 1

Spring deadline: October 1

How to Apply

Step 1: Are you eligible to apply?

This dual BS/MS is open only to currently enrolled NYU undergraduates in the BS in Nutrition and Dietetics program in their sophomore years. Before applying, make an appointment with your advisor to review the program of study and discuss your interests and professional goals. 

The required minimum GPA is 3.0.

Step 2: Learn more about the graduate program

After speaking with your advisor, you may wish to learn more about the graduate MS degree. You can email our graduate advisor, Steven Ho at to set up a time to meet with them, as well as find out about upcoming information sessions.

Step 3: Submit your application

The application to the dual BS/MS degree requires:

  • A personal statement that explains your interest in the dual degree program (i.e., your career goals and how this program fits into them) in no more than 2 pages typed (800 words or less).

When you have prepared the above statement, please apply here.


Apply for the BS/MS


Step 4: Receive Your Admission Decision

Admissions decisions will be shared in early March for Fall semester admits and in November for Spring semester admits. You will receive a communication from your advisor to fill out a change of major form. Apply sophomore year.

Becoming a Graduate Student

Your Third or Fourth Year

You’ll work with your new graduate advisor to register for graduate courses. In the Fall of your senior year, contact Steven Ho at sh93@nyu.eduto finalize your transition into the MS.

Your Fifth Year

Once you enter your fifth year of study (your first as a graduate student), you will need to meet with your graduate advisor to complete the transition. You will then complete the remaining credits for your master’s degree.

Important Information about Financial Aid

Please note that financial aid at the graduate level is different than at the undergraduate level and you may not receive the same aid. In fact, some types of aid available to undergraduate students are not available once you become a graduate student, and you will be considered for graduate scholarships at this time. Graduate scholarships are not guaranteed.

To be considered for any type of financial aid (including scholarships), you must submit FAFSA renewal between November 1 and March 1 of your senior year. When submitting the form, be sure to indicate your new status as a graduate student.

Contact Us

Professor Domingo Pinero
Undergraduate Program Director

Sean Spellman
Undergraduate Program Advisor