This dual degree program allows you to earn a bachelor of science in nutrition and dietetics and a master of science in clinical nutrition in as little as five years. Upon graduating, you will have the skills needed to demonstrate excellence in clinical nutrition or nutrition counseling and/or qualify for your Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) credentials.
Official Degree Title
This dual degree program enables you to complete your studies in nutrition and dietetics with a master’s degree. This option will be especially attractive to students who want to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist. Effective 2024, candidates for the RDN credential must hold a master’s degree in any discipline.
The undergraduate portion of this dual degree program focuses on the role of food, nutrition, and health in society. Integrating knowledge and research into course work, the curriculum provides you with an understanding of basic sciences and theoretical and applied aspects of nutrition and dietetics.
The curriculum fully meets the foundational knowledge and learning outcomes in the Eligibility Requirements and Accreditation standards established by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, the accrediting agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
These standards are known collectively as the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) and they are met by taking the full set of courses required for the Bachelor of Science degree. Learn more about the NYU Steinhardt DPD.
The graduate portion of this program prepares you for dietetic internships that enable you to take the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) examination. Learn more about how to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
As our student, you will have the opportunity to learn from world-class faculty within NYU Steinhardt.
You will begin taking graduate-level courses while working toward your bachelor of science in nutrition and dietetics. Upon completion of your bachelor's degree, you will complete the remaining graduate courses and fulfill the requirements for the MS in Nutrition and Dietetics.
Your program of study will include an internship component, providing the opportunity for you to build professional relationships in the field and apply course concepts beyond the classroom.
Registered dietitians hold jobs as:
- Clinical dietitians or managers of nutrition programs in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, health professions schools, and other health care settings
- Nutrition educators in health care, community, corporate, elementary and secondary schools, or academic agencies and institutions
- Members of clinical specialty teams in pediatrics, surgery, cardiovascular, renal, and other medical care services
- Counselors of patients with chronic conditions such as diabetes, obesity, and hypertension.
- Private nutrition consultants to the public, government and private agencies, and the food industry
- Public relations, media, and product development executives, staff, and consultants in private and public agencies, institutions, and media outlets
Nutrition and Food Studies
411 Lafayette Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10003