How to Apply
- Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Applicants must present an official AND Verification Statement of Completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), or a statement of Declaration of Intent to Complete the DPD, with original signatures.
- Preference will be given to applicants with an overall academic average of B or better; the minimum academic average for nutrition DPD courses is a B or better.
- Applicants also must simultaneously apply to the 40-credit Clinical Nutrition Master of Science (MS). Please note the due date for the MS program is different from the DICAS Deadline.
Note: Applicants who have non-US undergraduate credentials must present a course-by-course evaluation of their international credentials along with their completed application. See a list of agencies that can provide this service.
The internship application must contain:
- Completed online application via DICAS, including a personal statement of 1,000 words or less. See more information about the application process.
- DICAS application fee: $5 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional one
- NYU Dietetic Internship application fee: $40 check made payable to "NYU Dietetic Internship"
Please send the check to: NYU Dietetic Internship 411 Lafayette St. 5th Floor, New York, NY 10003. Please indicate the name of the student applying to the internship in the memo line.
- Recommendations: Applicants must submit 3 recommendations online from faculty, academic advisers, employers, or other people who have supervised their studies or work. One recommendation should come from an employer who supervised volunteer or paid work, and one from an instructor of a course you taken in nutrition/dietetics. Applicants must include updated contact information for each of their 3 references.
- DPD Verification Statement: An official statement of Verification of Completion of the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) with original signatures, or Declaration of Intent to complete academic requirements, also with original signatures, is required. Once you submit the online DICAS application, the DPD Director will be notified and a verification or declaration of intent will be automatically processed. Applicants will receive two hard copies, while the DPD Director will verify online that the applicant has received them.
- Official transcripts: When applying online, applicants will be asked to download and fill out a Transcript Request Form which applicants should then send to the registrar of each institution they attended. The Registrar will then send the official transcript directly to DICAS.
- Digital matching: Applicants must also pay $50 to register online with D+D Digital for computer matching and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 pm CST the day of the deadline. Apply online by visiting D&D Digital or call 515-292-0490 to request a computer matching information packet.
Applicants must submit all of their application materials by the appropriate deadlines. No exceptions will be made for late submissions.
- Fall applicants
- NYU MS Nutrition program application: October 1
- DICAS/D&D MATCHING: September 25, 2021
- Spring applicants
- NYU MS Nutrition program application: February 1
- DICAS/D&D matching: February 15, 2022
In addition to their submitted materials, applicants may be asked to interview in person or by telephone with the dietetic internship director and/or members of the Selection Committee. Approximately 12-14 applicants will be accepted.
Notification of Admission: Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status online by D&D Digital Systems. Applicants who have been matched to the NYU Dietetic Internship must send an email within 24 hours to the Program Director, Gena Seraita, to confirm acceptance or rejection of admission.
Students will be evaluated based upon the following factors:
- DPD GPA
- Overall undergraduate GPA
- Relevant work history
- Go to the DICAS online application portal. You will need to create a new account if you have not already set one up.
- When logged in, please note that there are instructions for every section at the top right hand corner of each page.
- In the College(s) Attended section, at the very top drop-down box, note that both NYU's undergraduate and graduate DPD programs should have the "DPD College" designation. Any college with a DPD program is a DPD College. Any college without a DPD program (even if you did a course there for transfer to ours) is "Other College."
- In the DPD Director Contact Information section of the DICAS Application, the Director of Program is Charles Mueller.
- In the College(s) Attended section, after you have added your schools, click the orange button to the left of your school listing to obtain a transcript form. Send a separate transcript request form to each school you have added.
- You can only request 3 letters of recommendation through the DICAS website. NYU's Dietetic Internship requires 3 letters, but other internship sites may have different requirements.
- Below you will find a list of undergraduate and graduate DPD courses at NYU along with their science or professional classifications. Note: The institution(s) in which students complete their DPD assign(s) those classifications.
- Upload the DPD Course List form (to view and download the form, please be sure you're logged in with your NYU email account and click "File" then "Download").
|Course Title||Science or Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1023 Food Microbiology & Sanitation||Science|
|NUTR-UE 1064 Nutritional Biochemistry||Science|
|NUTR-UE 1068 Intro to Human Physiology||Science|
|CHEM-UA 120 Introduction to Modern Chemistry||Science|
|CHEM-UA 210 Principles of Organic Chemistry||Science|
|NUTR-UE 85 Introduction to Foods & Food Science||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 91 Food Management Theory||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 119 Nutrition & Health||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1260 Diet Assessment & Planning||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1269 Nutrition & The Life Cycle||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1184 Food Science & Technology||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1052 Food Production & Management||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1185 Clinical Nutrition Assessment & Intervention||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1209 Community Nutrition||Professional|
|NUTR-GE 2199 Nutrition Education||Professional|
|NUTR-GE 2190.01 Research Methods - OR -||Professional|
|NUTR-UE 1117 Current Research in Nutrition||Professional|