Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt

Student raising hand in classroom

FAQ for Prospective MA Students

MA in International Education

What is the deadline for the application?

Application Deadlines for the MA Program:
Spring: Priority: October 1
Summer: Early Decision: January 6; Priority: February 1
Fall: Early Decision: January 6; Priority: February 1

The Advanced Certificate program is not currently accepting applications.

Applicants interested in scholarship consideration must apply by the priority deadline.

Applications will be reviewed after the priority deadline on a rolling basis provided space is available.

Applications for entry into the PhD program are due December 1st.

Applicants should fill out their FAFSA by March 1 for Fall/Summer enrollment or November 1 for Spring enrollment. Do not wait to be accepted. Review the deadlines and fill out your FAFSA.

Is the GRE required?

The GRE is required for the PhD program but is not required for the MA or Advanced Certificate programs. However, if you choose to submit scores with your application, they will be considered with your application.

Do I need to submit letters of recommendation?

Two letters of recommendation are required for the MA or Advanced Certificate programs, we recommend you submit letters from professors or former employers from the last three years. Three letters of recommendation are required for the PhD program.  These letters must be from academic references.

How can I apply?

Applicants must apply using the online application available on the Office of Admissions website. For more information on what is required, please see the program's Application Guide.

Where do I send supplementary materials, such as letters of recommendation and transcripts?

All your application materials, including your transcript, should be uploaded to the online application system. If you have any questions regarding the online application, please contact the admissions office.

Office of Graduate Admissions
NYU Steinhardt
82 Washington Square East, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10003-6680
212-998-5030 (phone)
212-995-4328 (fax)

Can I have the application fee waived?

The NYU Steinhardt Office of Graduate Admissions handles fee waiver requests. Please review the Policy on Application Fee Waivers to determine how to properly request a fee waiver.  

Students who have participated in programs such as Teach for America, Peace Corps, Americorps, Fulbright, and similar are encouraged to request an application fee waiver.

What are the English proficiency exam requirements?

Applicants whose first language is not English are required to take one of the following English proficiency exams and submit the score: TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic. See more information on English proficiency testing

What is the GPA requirement?

There is no set GPA requirement.  Applications are reviewed holistically.  In the past, successful candidates have had a GPA at or above 3.0.

Are scholarships available?

Yes. Information on scholarships is listed on Steinhardt Financial Aid website.

Many of our students who are returned Peace Corps volunteers receive the NYU Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship. To be considered, simply answer "yes" on your online application for admission to the Coverdell Fellowship question.

All applicants who are interested in being considered for school-based scholarships MUST complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going to the FAFSA website and submitting it electronically to NYU. Detailed instructions can be found on the Graduate Admissions website. The deadline for having submitted the form to NYU is March 1 for Summer/Fall enrollment or November 1 for Spring enrollment. 

What are the tuition fees?

Tuition and fees are listed on the admissions website.

Is there funding available for international students?

NYU Steinhardt encourages international applicants to investigate scholarship support offered by their home country to support their studies at NYU.

For financial aid information for international students may be found at:
NYU Financial Aid
Steinhardt Financial Aid Information

Is there funding for Returned Peace Corps Volunteers?

Yes. The NYU Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship Program offers a select group of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers leadership development programming and financial support while pursuing a master's degree. Visit the Steinhardt's Financial Aid page for more information.

Is an interview required for admissions?

No, we don't offer interviews for applicants.

Are there different admissions requirements for international students?

Yes, for applicants whose native language is not English and who did not receive a bachelor's degree at an English-speaking college or university, offical scores from one of the approved English language exams is mandatory. International students may also be required to complete additional requirements before being accepted. See Special Instructions for International Applicants

What are the qualifications for admissions? Do I need a BA in International Education, international work experience, or teacher certifications?

There are no specific requirements for admissions into the program. Qualified applicants have experience ranging from travel and work overseas, hands-on experience in education, and coursework in related fields.

When can I attend an Open House?

Open house is hosted in the fall semester of each year.  Details about the Information Session and class visits, as well as how to RSVP, are available on the admissions page.

I live far away and cannot attend the on campus Information Session. How can I find out more?

We recommend you attend our online Information Session, where you will be able to hear about the program from faculty and advisers, and connect with current students.  To RSVP, please visit the admissions website.  If you can't attend, you can also be sent a link to watch a recording of the session.

You can also email our ASH Ambassadors to connect directly with a current Master's student in the department.

I am planning to visit campus soon, can I meet with someone to discuss my interest in the program?

We highly recommend students attend Open House, where you can meet faculty, advisers, and current students in the program, as well as attend a class.  If you are unable to align your plans with Open House, send us an email at least three weeks prior to your visit to request an appointment with an adviser.  

We encourage students to also contact the NYU Gould Welcome Center to arrange for a campus tour, and watch the recorded Information Session prior to their visit to have many of their questions about the program answered.

How long does it take to complete the MA program?

The program can be completed in one year, including a summer, if you are enrolled full-time. However, the majority of the classes are offered in the evenings to accommodate students who enroll part-time.

How many students are enrolled in the MA program?

There are between 80 and 100 MA students enrolled in the program. This number includes all cohorts of students.

Can I work full-time and still take classes?

Yes, the majority of classes are offered in the evenings to accommodate working students.

What is the difference between an MA and an Advanced Certificate?

The certificate program is intended for people who are interested in receiving a formal degree in the field but do not want to pursue a PhD. Some students are currently working in the field and would like a degree, other than an MA, documenting that they have a formal background in this study. Other students use the degree as a stepping stone for a PhD program.

Can I do an internship while I am enrolled?

Yes, we require all MA students to complete an internship. Learn more about this requirement and placement organizations

If I completed the Peace Corps and/or have extensive experience working abroad, can this experience count towards the internship requirement?

Most students cannot waive the internship requirement. For more details about the internship requirement, please read our Internship FAQs.

Is there a language requirement for admissions into the program?


Can I complete the degree from overseas?

No. You must be enrolled as a student at NYU in New York City in order to complete the degree.

If I take courses during the summer at another institution, can the credits transfer towards the MA degree?

It is possible students can transfer up to 6 credits towards the MA degree. However, these credits cannot be applied towards the core requirements. To receive approval for transfer credits, after you are matriculated, you must contact your academic adviser and submit a syllabus and transcript for review.

What materials are required in the application?

Please see the Graduate Admissions Application Guide for more information on what materials are required and how to submit them.

Can you mail an information packet on the program to my home address?

We do not send materials via mail. Detailed information about the MA degree can be found on the MA program website, including course requirements, internship information, job placements, faculty biographies, and contact information for current students. After reviewing the website, if you have additional questions, please send us an email.

When will I receive a decision from NYU?

Decisions for the summer and fall semesters typically start being emailed in mid- to late-March. Decisions for the spring semester go out starting in December.  Please contact the admissions office directly at 212-998-5030 or via email if you have questions.