Prepare for a faculty position in comparative and international education, or for a career as a professional educator in international and multinational settings. Develop a course of study that concentrates on a cultural area of the world, with options to study abroad, and take courses in specialized research methods, social science or humanities disciplines, globalization, and educational policy.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Our curriculum includes doctoral seminars, core courses in international education, specialized research methods, areas studies courses, and course work in your area of interest.
You can tailor your program of study by choosing one of the following concentrations:
- Cross-Cultural Exchange and Training prepares you to conduct research, teach, and work in educational and cultural organizations that facilitate international exchanges and cross-cultural training
- Global Education prepares you to conduct research; teach; and work in colleges, universities, schools, publishing houses, and educational agencies that design, develop, and implement global education programs
- International Development Education prepares you to conduct research, teach, and work in government agencies, private voluntary organizations, and foundations that provide educational assistance to underdeveloped countries to achieve sustainable economic growth
The list below includes initial or current positions for graduates of the International Education doctoral program in the past decade.
- Research Director, Global Coalition to Protect Education from Attack
- Project Director, Pen America
- Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs, NYU Shanghai
- Vice President for Academic Affairs, Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- Assistant Professor (tenure track), University of Virginia
- Senior Program Advisor, International Programs at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- Director of Study Abroad, DePaul University
- Academic Director, Global Institute for Secondary Educators
- Assistant Professor (tenure track), Seton Hall University
- Director, Office of International Programs, Boston College
- Director, International Programs and Services, SUNY Purchase
- Community Manager, Hand in Hand: Center for Jewish-Arab Education in Israel
- Associate Professor, American University
- Director, Office of International Affairs, Stanford University
If you are accepted as a full-time NYU Steinhardt PhD student without an alternate funding source, you are eligible for our competitive funding package, which includes a scholarship and tuition remission. Learn more about our funding opportunities.
Drawing mainly from the fields of cultural and organizational sociology, I ask questions about how educational practices and institutions are shaped, how they undergo change, and how this varies across comparative contexts.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now