Proficiency in English – TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, or Duolingo English Test
Effective starting with Spring 2024 admissions, you do not have to submit an English language exam score if:
- Your native language is English
- You completed four years of study in the US (undergraduate, graduate, or a combination of both undergraduate and graduate study)
- You received the equivalent of a four year college education from a non-US school where English is the only and official language of instruction
For people who do not meet the above exemptions, NYU Steinhardt requires official scores from one of the following English language exams to be received in the Office of Graduate Admissions by the application deadline; there is no preference as to which exam you take.
Due to accreditation and licensure requirements, applicants to any program in our OT department must submit TOEFL scores, other scores will not be accepted.
- Test of English to Speakers of Other Languages iBT (TOEFL). The standard iBT exam or the Special at Home iBT are acceptable options. We do not accept scores from TOEFL Essentials. We do accept TOEFL - MyBest Score. TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the date taken. Successful candidates score a 100 on the Internet based exam. Send official scores from ETS to NYU Steinhardt using institution code 2556. A department code is not required. Please ensure 2556 is listed as your Designated Score Recipient. Note: For the MA in Occupational Therapy program only, successful candidates score 89 or higher on this exam.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Official scores are valid for two years from the date taken. Successful candidates achieve a band score of 7. Send official scores from IELTS to NYU Steinhardt by selecting New York University Steinhardt Graduate Admissions as a score recipient. Note: For the MA in Occupational Therapy program only, successful candidates score 6.5 or higher on this exam.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic). Official scores are valid for two years from the date taken. Successful candidates score a 68 to 70. Send official scores from PTE Academic to NYU Steinhardt by selecting New York University, NYU Steinhardt-Graduate Admissions as a score recipient. Note: For the MA in Occupational Therapy program only, successful candidates score 60 or higher on this exam.
- Duolingo English Test: Applicants may also submit results from the Duolingo English Test. Scores should be sent to New York University, Steinhardt School, Graduate Admissions. Successful candidates should score 130 or above. Note: For the MA in Occupational Therapy program only, successful candidates score 120 or higher on this exam.
Applicants holding or completing a graduate degree from an English-speaking institution are still required to submit official exam scores if their graduate education was fewer than four years in duration.
This English proficiency exam requirement cannot be waived. If your scores have expired before you apply, you must retake the exam.
If you submit scores from more than one of the exams all of your scores will be available to the Admissions Committee; however, Committees typically consider your highest score.
The Admissions Committee reserves the right to require any candidate, regardless of country of citizenship, to submit results from an English language exam prior to rendering a decision if they believe proficiency in English is an area of concern.
If you are required to submit the results of an English language exam you must submit your results in two formats:
- An official score report must be sent to Graduate Admissions from the testing agency.
- A copy of your score report must be uploaded into the online application in the English Proficiency Exams section of the Test Score Uploads page. Since this is an unofficial report for informational purposes only, web printouts or screenshots can be uploaded, as long as we can read the scores and your name.
Candidates may be further evaluated before a decision is made through a second-level review of English proficiency regardless of score received on the above exams.
GRE (ETS Institution Code: 2556)
If your program of interest requires Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) scores as part of your application, your official scores must be on file by the application deadline before a decision can be made. GRE scores are only valid for five years. If your scores are older than five years, you must take the test again.
If the GRE is required for your program, you must submit your scores in two formats:
- An official GRE score report must be sent electronically to NYU Steinhardt from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). NYU Steinhardt's ETS institution code is 2556; a departmental code is not required. Please ensure 2556 is listed as your Designated Score Recipient. Do not list us as an Undergraduate Institution Recipient, as we will never receive your scores. Visit the GRE website for more information about the exam.
- A copy of your GRE score report must be uploaded into the online application in the GRE Score Report (Unofficial Copy) section of the Test Score Uploads page. A web printout or screenshot is acceptable.