In order to apply for financial aid from NYU, you must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is a great way to become eligible for many forms of federal aid and scholarships, so we encourage you to submit the FAFSA no matter what your plan to fund your education.
- FAFSA Open Date: October 1
- FAFSA Deadline for Summer/Fall Enrollment: March 1
- FAFSA Deadline for Spring Enrollment: November 1
- Notification of Financial Package from NYU, Summer/Fall: Late March
- Notification of Financial Package from NYU, Spring: Early December
Who Is Eligible for the FAFSA?
Master's degree, advanced certificate, advanced diploma, and doctoral applicants who are US citizens or permanent residents may submit the FAFSA to receive consideration for NYU financial aid packages.
Full-time PhD applicants who submit completed applications for admission by the December 1 deadline, regardless of country of citizenship, will receive consideration for scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships. The FAFSA is not required but is encouraged for US citizens and permanent residents.
Tips and Guidelines
The process of filling out the FAFSA is different for every prospective student, but here are a few things to keep in mind to make the experience a little smoother:
- No matter what the deadline is for your semester, we encourage you to submit your FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1. Do not wait for our admissions decision before submitting your FAFSA application. Applying after the deadline delays the processing of federal aid and student loans and may result in you being ineligible for scholarships.
When the form prompts you for a Federal School Code, use 002785 for New York University.
You must submit a FAFSA each year to determine and renew your financial aid.
We strongly encourage you to use the FAFSA Data Retrieval Tool whenever possible, which allows you to import your tax information into the FAFSA directly from the IRS.
For help in completing the FAFSA, call 800-4-FED-AID or visit the FAFSA website.