Application Extended: Still Accepting Applications
Combine your love of language with inquiry-based teaching methods for college students and adults. This master of arts program gives you the knowledge and skills to teach English to speakers of other languages, in the US and abroad. You’ll learn pedagogical strategies and build a strong foundation in language, literacy, and linguistics, preparing for an array of rewarding career options.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Throughout this New York City–based degree, you will learn:
- Second language teaching approaches that can be adjusted to suit the needs of learners from diverse linguistic, educational, and ethnic backgrounds
- Second-language pedagogy, second-language acquisition research, linguistics, English grammar, and intercultural or multicultural studies
- How to develop and implement innovative classroom strategies and curricula
- An appreciation for cultural diversity in global educational settings.
The MA in TESOL combines core foundation classes and content electives with classroom observation. You’ll study teaching methods, the second language classroom, foundations of linguistics, the structure of American English, intercultural perspectives in education, and complete your study with a culminating seminar. You'll also apply hands-on learning through observation opportunities at NYU's American Language Institute or other adult learning settings in New York City.
Optional Practicum Experience
You'll have the option of doing a one-semester practicum at various language schools (including community college, non-profit organizations, and the English Language Institute at NYU). This is a great opportunity to integrate theory and practice.
A Community of Scholars
As a graduate student in our program, you’ll be welcomed into a strong, supportive learning community that takes an additive view of language and culture development, and believes that multilingualism is a valuable resource. Our faculty members are recognized leaders in the field, and are always available to students both through the courses they teach as well as through individual advisement.
Study Abroad Opportunities
You'll have unique opportunities to study the interrelationship among language, culture, and learning from an intercultural perspective in the Dominican Republic and United Kingdom, or take part in other NYU Steinhardt global study programs.
This non-certification program prepares you for a variety of career roles, including:
- Teacher of English to speakers of other languages in adult learning centers, community colleges, universities, community organizations, and immigrant resettlement agencies in the US
- Teacher of English to speakers of other languages at various levels abroad
- Curriculum developer, specialist, or evaluator
- Researcher, teacher educator, trainer, or program coordinator in governmental and nonprofit educational agencies and multinational corporations
This program does not lead to New York State teaching certification. An option for initial teaching certification is also available.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact the Program Director at email@example.com.