In this advanced certificate, you’ll study English language structure and applied linguistics, get hands-on experience through an internship at various sites throughout the city, and acquire pedagogical methods to teach learners from diverse cultural and educational backgrounds. You will be prepared to teach English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) in the US and internationally at all levels.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Build off of your undergraduate degree and learn to teach English to speakers of other languages anywhere in the world by studying:
- Second language teaching approaches that can be adjusted to suit the needs of different learner populations from diverse linguistic, educational, and ethnic backgrounds
- The structure of American English
- The second language classroom
- Language evaluation and assessment
This advanced certificate does not lead to state teaching certification, but credits earned in the program can be transferred into the MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Grades K–12, Initial Certification.
An Integration of Theory and Practice
Based on communicative methods of second language acquisition and a reflective model of teaching, this 15-credit advanced certificate in TESOL consists of five courses and an internship. You’ll develop a foundation in English language and applied linguistics, as well as a mastery of language teaching approaches, methods, and techniques.
As part of your studies, you’ll complete a semester-long internship at one of our various sites throughout the city. If you already have teaching experience, you can take an additional elective course in place of the internship. This is a great opportunity to integrate theory, practice, and subject content.
Flexible Program of Study
Courses are offered throughout the Fall and Spring semester, and selective electives are available in Summer. You can choose to complete the program in two or more semesters, depending on if you are studying full or part time.
Upon completion of your certificate, you will be ready to take on advanced roles around the world, including:
- Teacher of English as a second or foreign language to students at all levels, working internationally
- Teacher of English to speakers of other languages at independent and language schools and adult programs in the US
- Researcher, trainer, or program coordinator working with immigrant populations in the US
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Program Director Lorena Llosa at firstname.lastname@example.org.