Application Extended: Still Accepting Applications
Train for a career teaching Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish for grades 7–12, and English to speakers of other languages for grades K–12. In this New York State dual-certification degree, you'll learn teaching strategies; build strong foundations in language, literacy, culture, and applied linguistics; and gain important classroom experience by student teaching in New York City schools.Request Info
Official Degree Title
This dual-certification degree combines core foundation classes and content electives with fieldwork and student teaching, ensuring that you gain:
- Second and world language teaching approaches that can be adjusted to suit the needs of learners from diverse linguistic, educational, and ethnic backgrounds
- An understanding of urban educational environments and the social, cultural, and economic factors that influence learning
- Second and world language pedagogy, second language acquisition research, applied linguistics in your target world language, English grammar, and intercultural or multicultural studies
- How to develop and implement innovative classroom strategies and curricula
- An appreciation of cultural diversity in global education settings
Student Teaching in New York City Schools
You'll complete two semesters of student teaching at New York City schools – at the elementary level in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), and the secondary level for your world language – while simultaneously taking a student teaching seminar. This is a great opportunity to integrate theory, practice, and subject content. Cooperating teachers and NYU faculty will offer feedback and guidance so you can develop and refine your teaching techniques.
Study Abroad Opportunities
You'll have unique opportunities to study the interrelationship among language, culture, and learning from an intercultural perspective in the Dominican Republic and United Kingdom, or take part in other NYU Steinhardt global study programs.
Optional Certification Extension
You can choose to take additional course work to extend your world language teaching certification to include grades K–6.
This program leads to eligibility for New York State initial teaching certification in both your target world language and TESOL, preparing you for a number of career choices, including:
- World and/or second language teacher in elementary and secondary schools, community colleges, universities, community organizations, and immigrant resettlement agencies
- Curriculum developer, specialist, or evaluator
- Researcher, teacher educator, trainer, or program coordinator in governmental and non-profit educational agencies and multinational corporations
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact the Program Director at email@example.com.