You will work closely with our faculty of internationally recognized film composers and industry professionals as you receive intensive training in music composition, technology, and contemporary trends of music for media. As a student, you will participate in scoring recording sessions, have your music premiered live, and work with filmmakers, game designers, and journalists as you expand your professional network beyond the classroom.
Official Degree Title
During your studies, you will:
- Receive robust training in music theory and core classes, including theories for screen music, exploring the application of harmonic and melodic principles through a narrative lens.
- Become proficient in instrumentation and orchestration, taking at least four courses in the area. Practice your skills with guest performers, orchestral ensembles, and recording sessions that serve as laboratories for current industry practices.
- Take private composition lessons with well-respected film composers and industry professionals every semester.
- Learn the the foundations of storytelling, and film language, and be prepared to watch and discuss 100 movies during your studies in our classes.
- Participate in multiple performances and collaborations with New York University musicians and ensembles, featuring your live music set to the screen.
- Master the technology required to work in the field of screen scoring (DAWs, sample libraries, synthesizers, game middleware), as you learn the vital aesthetics and techniques vital for multimedia (film, video games, TV, advertisements).
- Learn how to record and professionally produce top-quality demos with performing musicians through hybrid recording sessions designed to help you develop the versatile and skillful professional the industry now demands.
- Learn music history from a wide variety of approaches, including screen music and global traditions.
- Take more than 20 credits of electives to develop other areas of specialization, or to delve deeper into scoring.
In our program, we believe mentorship is one of the most efficient ways to help you develop your creative voice, skills, and professionalism. We believe in individualized attention to help you forge your unique academic path. This is why you will:
- Meet with an advisor to mentor you with your artistic and academic decisions, who will guide you through your studies and professional career.
- Have a very dedicated faculty and staff ready to assist you whenever needed. You will be mentored in the recording studio, preparing reels or pitching as you learn how to network and collaborate. You will put these skills into practice as you meet and collaborate with students from New York’s top film and media programs.
- Have a private lesson every week with a dedicated industry mentor and professional media composer each semester of your studies.
- Have the opportunity to receive weekly feedback on your work from renowned composers, songwriters, publishers, and industry executives in New York City and beyond through our Composers’ Forum Fridays@1 Masterclass Series.
- Take advantage of internships with industry composers, professionals, and companies in New York and Los Angeles that will help you develop your professional skills and expand your career network beyond NYU.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Dr. Sergi Casanelles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related Bachelor's Degrees
Study the craft of writing, producing, and recording songs, and the music industry, through intensive course work and collaboration with professional musicians.
Located in the heart of New York City, composers come to NYU from far and wide to be a part of the city's vibrant artistic life. NYU’s Music Composition community offers a creative, openminded, supportive environment in which to make new work.