Prepare for a career in composing for the screen while developing your skills in music production, music editing, orchestrating, mixing, and engineering. You’ll receive intensive professional training that combines practice, theory, and industry immersion with opportunities to work closely with renowned professionals. You’ll collaborate in multiple scoring projects, create a portfolio from multiple recordings, and receive masterclasses from a wide variety of professionals.Request Info
Official Degree Title
During your studies, you will:
- Develop your technical skills to master technology: including the DAW, Sample Libraries, Synthesizers, Sound Processors, or Middleware. You will also learn how to create your own Sample Libraries
- Learn how to be efficient and compose, mix, and produce high-quality music with your computer
- Evolve your orchestration skills and learn the specific demands of orchestrating for screen music
- Learn everything involved in a recording session: from composing and part preparation to music editing, producing, and communicating with your team
- Learn how to analyze music for the screen
- Work on your collaboration and networking skills and learn how to plan and prepare for demanding projects
In our program, we believe in mentorship as one of the most efficient ways to help you develop your creative voice, your skills, and to help you become a solid professional. We believe in individual attention to help you develop your unique academic path and creative voice. This is why you will:
- Have an advisor to help you in your academic decisions, and guide you through your studies and professional decisions
- Have a very dedicated faculty and staff ready to assist you whenever needed. You will be mentored in the recording studio, when preparing portfolios, or when learning how to network and collaborate.
- You will have an hour-long private lesson every week for your first three semesters
In addition to your classes, our program will provide you with a wide range of opportunities aimed to help you develop and to connect with the professional world:
- We do more than 12 recording sessions every semester. You will record with soloists up to orchestral ensembles in our program recording sessions, our advanced orchestration readings, and in our sampling sessions to create sample libraries.
- Every year, we offer multiple readings with the NYU Symphony, residencies, and a film scoring competition with animations.
- We connect you with the top film, and media schools in the city. Our students write music from more than 150 films, games, and documentaries every year.
- We bring professionals almost every week to discuss their process and critique your work.
Our students work with filmmakers in a variety of different contexts forging many successful and long-lasting relationships.
Students participate in recording sessions that serve as our laboratory for current scoring practices.
Our Friday@1 series presents conversations with some of the most renowned composers, songwriters, publishers, and industry executives in New York City and beyond.
Hone your skills in scoring for TV, film, advertising, or videogames at one of our summer workshops.
Related Master's Degrees
Improve your compositional talents and have your work performed by talented musicians as you prepare to enter the competitive songwriting field.
New York City is the place to be! NYU has spawned numerous composer collectives, ensembles, record labels, festivals and more. Join a community of supportive peers to develop your unique compositional voice and chart your career. One on one contact with leading composers in the field will help realize your vision.