Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt


NY State Certification Application Instructions

Teacher Certification

Steinhardt New York State Certification Application Instructions including Student Application Information Sheet and Program Codes

Below please find application instructions for New York State Certification for post-February 2004 graduates of each of the Steinhardt departments/programs offering NYS approved certification programs.  Please read application instructions cover letter carefully.  Program codes are included in the application instructions.

Initial Certification

The applications and program codes below are only to be used by post-February 2004 graduates of NYU Steinhardt registered teacher certification programs.

You must be logged in to NYU Home to access the applications.

Art Education

Dance Education

Educational Theatre

Music Education

Speech and Language Disabilities

Teaching and Learning

Provisional Certification (School Counselor only)

School Counselor and Bilingual School Counselor 

Professional Certification

If you've completed a Steinhardt MA, MS, MAT or Adv Cert post-February 2004 (post-September 2006 for School Building Leader and School District Leader) in the same area(s) that led to Initial in which you are applying for Professional Certification, please email Mark Perez, Certification Officer, at for program code and steps to apply for Professional Certification.

After applying for Professional Certification, please review FAQs 20-24 as they will answer questions you may have about your application(s).

If you've completed a Steinhardt bachelor's degree that led to Initial Certification and you've now completed a master's degree in another area or at another institution, you must apply to the NYSED through the Certificate Progression pathway. The NYSED TEACH system will not accept your bachelor's program code to apply for Professional Certification.  

When prompted for a program code, you DO NOT enter a program code, instead select:

  1. No, I have not completed, nor am I enrolled in, an Approved Teacher Preparation Program at a New York State College or University for this certificate and this type. 

On the Interstate Reciprocity screen, select No, I am not eligible to apply through the Interstate Reciprocity Pathway.  Then select the Certificate Progression Pathway.

Certificate Progression is also the correct pathway for certificate(s) achieved through a bachelor's degree at another institution that led to Initial Certification if you've now completed a master's in another certificate area with Steinhardt.

*Please be advised that if you enter a program code that does not pertain to the degree you completed through Steinhardt, your certificate will not issue as you will not be recommended for Professional Certification in that area.

You will need to submit an official master's transcript to the NYSED.  Include a cover letter with your name, the last four digits of your social security number and your date of birth and mail with transcript to:

Office of Teaching Initiatives
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Ave, 5N EB
Albany, New York 12234

Permanent Certification (School Counselor Only)

Please contact Mark Perez, Certification Officer, at for program code and steps to apply for Permanent Certification.


For all questions and concerns related to NYU Steinhardt certification programs not addressed in these pages, please contact:

Mark J. Perez 
Certification Officer
NYU Steinhardt
82 Washington Square East, Room 229 
New York, New York 10003 
(212) 998-5033 
(212) 995-4353 fax