Parents, policymakers, educators, and leaders around the country want high-quality teachers for our nation’s children and schools. At NYU Steinhardt, our mission is to ensure that every teacher we train is prepared to give each child a quality education. We share this goal with the nation: we are committed to making sure that highly effective teachers are working in classrooms around the country.
This website offers information to members of the public, prospective students, parents, educators, evaluators, government officials, and the media about how well the teacher education programs at NYU Steinhardt are meeting this goal.
Evaluations and Outcomes Data on Teacher Candidates
Our efforts to evaluate our teacher candidates go well beyond counting hours in schools or assignments listed on syllabi.
- Using standardized observation protocols, we conduct surveys of our students' proficiency in using effective teaching strategies and techniques.
- To evaluate professional development and teaching, we assess dispositions thought to be related to student achievement.
- We assess the quality and effectiveness of the training our student teachers receive from their cooperating teachers and faculty supervisors.
- We assess our students’ impact on pre-K-12 pupil learning, including value-added measures.
- We track the success of our graduates in obtaining and retaining teaching positions, and their effectiveness in the teaching and learning of their pupils.