Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt



MS, Nutrition and Dietetics: Foods and Nutrition

What are the master's-level degree options within the Nutrition and Dietetics program?

This 34-credit MS in Foods and Nutrition is for students who already hold professional credentials in a health field (like medicine or dentistry) looking to further their careers with advanced training in food and nutrition. We also offer a 40-credit MS in Clinical Nutrition for students seeking to attain the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) credential and a 34-credit MS in Clinical Nutrition for students pursuing advanced clinical nutrition training who already have completed a dietetic internship or have the RDN credential.

Does the department offer any scholarships?

School-based scholarship consideration is available to full-time and part-time applicants who submit a FAFSA by March 1 for the Fall semester or November 1 for the Spring semester. Learn more about the process and the financial aid available at NYU Steinhardt.

Can I take a pre-requisite course as a non-matriculated graduate student and then transfer my credits in if I decide to enter the program?

If you would like to take a course as a non-matriculated student, please speak with a department faculty or representative (either in person or on the phone) to seek advisement on what course to take. Please be advised that non-matriculated students must wait until 2 weeks prior to the start of the course to enroll. 

Do I need to take the GRE?

No, the GREs are not required for any of the concentrations in the Nutrition master's program.

Do you have a culinary arts program?

Although we offer some culinary training classes which support the degree-oriented academic programs, we do not offer a degree in culinary arts. 

How do I obtain pre-approval for transfer credits as a graduate student?

Since transfer credits are determined on a case-by-case basis, please call the department to schedule an appointment with a program adviser. Usually, you will need to bring in a copy of the syllabi from the courses you wish to transfer for review by an adviser. 

How long will it take me to complete a graduate degree?

Since each student's course load differs, it is hard to establish a set time length to complete a graduate program. To figure out how many semesters it will take you to complete your degree, take the number of credits needed for your degree and divide them by the number of credits you plan to take each semester. 

How many credits can I take per semester?

Full-time graduate students take 9 credits per semester, while part-time students take 4.5 credits per term.

Your credit load for the coming semester will ultimately be decided by you and your adviser during your registration appointment. 

How many credits do I need each semester to maintain matriculation status?

The University defines full-time coursework as a minimum of 9 credits per term and part-time course work as at least 4.5 credits per term. For more information, contact Registration Services (82 Washington Square East, 3rd Floor) at 212-998-5055. 

I see there are some pre-requisite undergraduate-level courses I need to complete for the graduate programs. Do I need to take these before I apply?

No. These courses can be taken at New York University once you have been accepted into the master's program.

My undergraduate degree is completely unrelated to the graduate degree I want to pursue in your department. Can I still apply?

Yes. We consider applications from students with a wide range of backgrounds and undergraduate degrees. 

What is the cost of your program?

For information on tuition costs, please visit the Bursar's website. Since these numbers change each semester, be sure to check the site often to be aware of the latest figures.

Tuition costs are the same whether you are a United States citizen or an international student.