Get Certified to Teach Art Grades K–12
Focus on contemporary art, social justice education, and critical multiculturalism as you prepare for initial teaching certification. Our course work combines readings and discussions of education, art, and cultural theory with practical experience teaching in elementary and secondary settings including student teaching in public and private schools, and our NYU Visionary Studio Saturday Workshop for high school students.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Learn about the MA Art + Education program by joining us for an online information session!
Art+Education Program Goals
- Examine the ways that art making and the teaching of art are grounded in power structures situated within social, political, and cultural institutions and history.
- Understand that art and education are forms of knowledge production that allow us to make meaning about the world based on our experiences of race, class, gender, sexuality, and ability; this knowledge can help us represent the world, as well as transform it.
- Design methods for teaching art and enacting artistic interventions that support critical thinking, creative inquiry, and social change inspired by contemporary approaches to art making, analyzing works of historical and current art, and social activism.
- Demonstrate the ability to be reflective practitioners and effective researchers who understand that theory informs practice and practice must be theorized.
- Empower persuasive cultural advocates and community leaders able to articulate the importance of art in schools, institutions, and society at large.
Join a community of artists, educators, activists, and community organizers working together to create critical art interventions that inspire dialogue and catalyze social change.
Become an artist-educator with the skills to change the landscape of art education, while working toward your professional teaching certification.