Graduates of our MA in Food Studies are creating impact in a range of areas including policy and advocacy, business and social entrepreneurship, and media and cultural analysis.
More Alumni in Action
The NYU Entrepreneurial Institute highlighted Rooted Fare, a startup co-founded by Food Studies alum Ashley Xie that partners and profit-shares with immigrant chefs to make Asian sauces for homemade dishes.
Growing Around the Globe: Alum Dharath “Tot” Hoonchamlong on Urban Farming in New York City and Thailand
Meet Tot (MA '19), the Environmental Manager of a Bo.lan – a sustainability-focused, Michelin-starred restaurant in Bangkok with an edible garden that reminds him of time spent on the NYU Urban Farm Lab as a graduate student.
Read NYU Alumni Magazine's profile of Allie Wist (MA '17), who is exploring the connections food has to other systems through her personal art.
Alumni in the News Recently
- Robynne Maii ('00) on The Splendid Table answers cooking questions (March 17, 2023)
- Yasmin Fahr ('10) was featured on TODAY about "Why you should be serving meals on boards — beyond charcuterie and cheese." (August 30, 2022)
- Olivia Domba ('20) interviewed for the Wasserman Center's podcast, All in a Day's Work (June 1, 2022).
- Michelle Hughes ('19) selected as a member of the USDA's Subcommittee on Agriculture (February 10, 2022)
- Laura Katz ('16) selected as one of Forbes 30 under 30 (December 1, 2021)
- Laura Katz ('16) featured in Tech Crunch speaking about her baby-formula company, Helaina (November 19, 2021)
- Samantha Levy ('17) is one of the New York State Agriculture Power 50 (September 12, 2021)
- Carla Berger ('20) spoke with Voyage LA about her business, Golden Sage Market (September 2, 2021)
- Felicia Campbell ('12) became Arizona Republic's new food, dining, and nightlife editor (July 10, 2021)
- Kristen Miglore ('10) is the host of Food52's "The Genius Recipe Tapes" podcast – listen to a recent interview with "No Recipes" founder Marc Matsumoto (June 16, 2021)
- Yasmin Fahr ('10) spoke with TODAY about eating and making Persian scorched rice, called "tahdig" in Farsi (April 14, 2021)
- Kaylee Hammonds ('13) authored "The Dangers of Bartending While Asian" in Food & Wine (March 19, 2021)
- Ashley Xie ('20) listed in "NYU Female Founders Fellowship Launches with Four Steinhardt Fellows" (March 17, 2021)
- Briana Riddock ('17) in The Atlantic's "How Our Relationships Affect What We Eat" (February 3, 2021)
- Joe Campanale ('08) in Thrillist's "Where to Buy and Drink Natural Wine in NYC" (January 12, 2021)
- Stephanie Rogus ('13) is the principal investigator of a New Mexico State University study on the impact of COVID-19 on food access and security across New Mexico (December 1, 2020)
- Allie Wist ('17) in Kulture Hub's "Food in the Arts? Why We Need to Consider the Trend an Artform" (October 23, 2020)
- Grace Weitz ('18) in VinePair's "Women-Focused ‘Beers With(out) Beards’ Virtual Beer Festival Kicks Off Oct. 7" (October 1, 2020)