Graduates of our MA in Food Studies are creating impact in a range of areas including policy and advocacy, business and social entrepreneurship, and media and cultural analysis. Read on to learn more about how our alumni are putting their knowledge of food studies into practice.
If you think about it, food is tightly intertwined with some of the major challenges we’re facing in this day in age. Food Studies gave me the tools to address those complex issues by examining food from a multitude of perspectives. The most rewarding aspect has been meeting all of the inspiring people in my program: from professors to guest lecturers and from activists to fellow students. I have family all over the world now.
Meet Ashley Xie (MA '20)
Ashley is the co-founder of Rooted Fare, a culinary startup that partners and profit-shares with immigrant chefs to make Asian sauces for homemade dishes.Read a Q&A with Rooted Fare
More Alumni in Action
As the COVID-19 pandemic took hold, Leah joined a mutual aid group in Queens and began organizing mobile food pantries that have since grown to serve 150–200 people weekly. “It’s really simple: anyone who shows up can get food.”
Growing Around the Globe: Alum Dharath “Tot” Hoonchamlong on Urban Farming in New York City and Thailand
Meet Tot (MA '19), the Environmental Manager of a Bo.lan – a sustainability-focused, Michelin-starred restaurant in Bangkok with an edible garden that reminds him of time spent on the NYU Urban Farm Lab as a graduate student.
Read NYU Alumni Magazine's profile of Allie Wist (MA '17), who is exploring the connections food has to other systems through her personal art.
Alumni in the News Recently
- Laura Katz ('16) selected as one of Forbes 30 under 30 (December 1, 2021)
- Laura Katz ('16) featured in Tech Crunch speaking about her baby-formula company, Helaina (November 19, 2021)
- Samantha Levy ('17) is one of the New York State Agriculture Power 50 (September 12, 2021)
- Carla Berger ('20) spoke with Voyage LA about her business, Golden Sage Market (September 2, 2021)
- Felicia Campbell ('12) became Arizona Republic's new food, dining, and nightlife editor (July 10, 2021)
- Kristen Miglore ('10) is the host of Food52's "The Genius Recipe Tapes" podcast – listen to a recent interview with "No Recipes" founder Marc Matsumoto (June 16, 2021)
- Yasmin Fahr ('10) spoke with TODAY about eating and making Persian scorched rice, called "tahdig" in Farsi (April 14, 2021)
- Kaylee Hammonds ('13) authored "The Dangers of Bartending While Asian" in Food & Wine (March 19, 2021)
- Ashley Xie ('20) listed in "NYU Female Founders Fellowship Launches with Four Steinhardt Fellows" (March 17, 2021)
- Briana Riddock ('17) in The Atlantic's "How Our Relationships Affect What We Eat" (February 3, 2021)
- Joe Campanale ('08) in Thrillist's "Where to Buy and Drink Natural Wine in NYC" (January 12, 2021)
- Stephanie Rogus ('13) is the principal investigator of a New Mexico State University study on the impact of COVID-19 on food access and security across New Mexico (December 1, 2020)
- Allie Wist ('17) in Kulture Hub's "Food in the Arts? Why We Need to Consider the Trend an Artform" (October 23, 2020)
- Grace Weitz ('18) in VinePair's "Women-Focused ‘Beers With(out) Beards’ Virtual Beer Festival Kicks Off Oct. 7" (October 1, 2020)