The doctoral degree in food studies offers an interdisciplinary approach to the study of food in its historical and cultural dimensions. Employing methods from the humanities and social sciences, this PhD prepares you to teach and conduct research at the university level as well as at institutions outside academia.Request Info
Official Degree Title
In consultation with an adviser and a doctoral committee, you will tailor your studies and dissertation to a particular research interest.
Current program research focuses on themes such as:
- The evolving relationship between food and ideas about health in a hospital setting
- The intersection of food, culture, and identity
- Immigrant foodways, ethnic restaurants, street vending, and questions of power and cultural difference
- The economics of policies and private sector efforts designed to address social and environmental costs of the food system
- Cultural politics, in particular local and traditional foods in the global market
- Immigration history, social movements, racial formations, agricultural labor, and questions about workers and American food systems
- The relationship between public policies and health, including programs aimed at improving food and exercise environments
Our PhD in Food Studies prepares you to thrive in positions as researchers and educators at the university level, or within institutions outside academia.
Funding for Full-Time PhD Students
If you are accepted as a full-time NYU Steinhardt PhD student without an alternate funding source, you are eligible for our generous funding package, which includes a scholarship and tuition remission. Learn more about our funding opportunities.
All applicants to full-time doctoral study will automatically be considered for Steinhardt-based fellowships.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Professor Fabio Parasecoli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now