In this major, you will examine urban and international contexts of education and the relationship of education to society, politics, economics, and culture. Through core courses, internships, and study abroad, you will gain hands-on experience in learning about educational change and advocacy in urban and global settings, and you'll be prepared to work in a variety of spaces that focus on education.
Official Degree Title
Our faculty members are experts in various disciplinary approaches and current issues in education. You will work with them in order to:
- Develop your knowledge of issues in teaching and learning
- Employ appropriate analytical and research methods for the field
- Compare and contrast US and international educational practices, especially in urban settings
- Assess education policy and reform
- Explain and discuss the roles of technology, the arts, and media in education
A Full Liberal Arts Education
The program emphasizes a full liberal arts education. You will complete a range of liberal arts core courses, including introductory study of the humanities, social sciences, science, and quantitative reasoning.
Areas of Specialization
You will choose to specialize in one of the following areas:
- Global and Urban Education
- Politics, Policies, and Social Entrepreneurship
- Arts, Languages, and Cultures
- Families, Community Health, and Human Development
You’ll engage in study abroad or another global experience, investigating education from a comparative and international lens and taking required courses and electives in various locations (e.g., Buenos Aires, Argentina and/or Accra, Ghana).
Immersive, Experiential Learning
Through internships in local organizations and service-learning projects in schools and classrooms across the city, you will apply concepts you learn in your classes and gain a deeper understanding of your place and potential in the world.
There are many career opportunities in the field of education besides becoming a classroom teacher. Education is a constantly growing field and global policy priority. Visionary leaders as well as professionals working behind the scenes on important education issues are in high demand.
Graduates will be prepared for positions such as:
- Volunteer for the Peace Corps
- Social entrepreneur at your own start-up
- Junior officer at UNICEF
- Campaigner at Amnesty International
- eLearning specialist at a university
- Program associate at Room to Read
- College counselor at AmeriCorps
- Teacher with Teach for America
- Program coordinator at City Year
This major is also appropriate if you are interested in graduate study in law, education, social work, policy, media, or business.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Ed Studies expanded my knowledge of the education system and introduced me to the many different ways in which I could be involved in the field.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now