Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt


Global and Urban Education Studies

The interdisciplinary undergraduate minor in Global and Urban Education Studies, open to all undergraduates across NYU, will give you a deeper understanding of critical social, cultural, economic, political, legal, and policy issues in education – nationally and internationally, and in urban and nonurban contexts. You'll be prepared for a career or further study in business, education, policy, law, or international development.


Degree Details

Official Degree Title

Minor in Global and Urban Education Studies

Full-time or Part-time

Through elective courses, you will choose to focus on one of two options:

Urban Education

This option includes courses that engage with questions of funding, equity, urban youth identities, organization and governance of urban schools, development and implementation of policies and practices, and multicultural and multilingual education. 

Global Education

This option examines social, cultural, and economic aspects of globalization and their implications for the field of education. Courses examine various topics as they relate to education, including notions of international human rights standards and principles, the emergence of global markets, new information technologies, migration, and comparative studies of socialization, race, class, gender, and sexuality in educational contexts.

You'll be prepared for careers in:

  • Law
  • Policymaking
  • Business
  • Education and education leadership
  • Nonprofit work
  • Domestic and international NGO work
  • Teaching, including Teach for America or teacher certification programs
  • Government positions in education, in the US or abroad
  • The Peace Corps and other international development or education work

You must apply for the minor in Albert via NYU Home. When you submit an application for the minor, it will be reviewed by both your home school and the Global and Urban Education Studies Minor adviser. If it is approved, the minor will appear on your transcript.

If you are a Steinhardt student, you may not apply for the minor using the cross-school minor application. You must use the Minor Declaration Form, which is available through your home department or the NYU Steinhardt Office of Student Affairs.

For specific questions, please contact the Global and Urban Education Studies Minor adviser by email at


If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact us at


Ying Lu

Associate Professor

Carol Anne Spreen

Associate Professor of International Education