Welcome to Educational Theatre at NYU. Our award-winning program, the oldest in the country, is dedicated to developing the next generation of theatre artists and educators for careers in schools, cultural institutions, and community settings. We have a long and established track record of preparing the most innovative theatre educators in New York State and beyond.
As an undergraduate, master's or doctoral student in Educational Theatre, you will develop your artistic praxis in traditional and non-traditional performance spaces, and learn how to apply your craft in educational and outreach sites. You will study with an internationally renowned and dedicated faculty and notable theatre educators from New York and around the world. And you will learn about the transformative power of theatre, and how to implement and evaluate dynamic theatre arts programs.
At NYU Steinhardt's Educational Theatre program, you will find:
- A comprehensive and balanced curriculum in theatre art and pedagogy
- Opportunities to develop your skills in such core areas as drama education, theatre for young audiences, play production, and applied theatre
- A richly diverse and multicultural community of students and faculty from around the world with a variety of backgrounds and gender, ethnic, and cultural identities, all deeply committed to social justice
- Carefully supervised teaching placements and internships in New York's finest schools and cultural institutions
- Study abroad programs with the world's greatest drama and theatre education innovators
- A three-summer M.A. option with Global Study
And you will find all of this here at our home campus in Greenwich Village and New York City, the cultural capital of the world, including the historic Provincetown Playhouse.
All of these opportunities take full advantage of a warm and collegial Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions that promotes the development of a grounded aesthetic and permits program electives in numerous disciplines across the University, including drama therapy, musical theatre, and performance studies.
The NYU Steinhardt Teacher Education Program is fully accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council.
Our Revue Blog keeps you up to date about performances, forums, events, students, faculty, and alumni.
To speak to us personally, or to arrange a visit, please contact our office at:
212 998 5868
Or contact our advisors:
Undergraduate Educational Theatre: Prof. Joe Salvatore and Prof. Nancy Smithner
M.A. in Educational Theatre for Colleges and Communities: Prof. Amy Cordileone (summer only students contact Prof. David Montgomery)
M.A. in Theatre Certification K-12: Prof. Joe Salvatore
M.A. in Theatre Certification K-12, and English 7.12: Prof. Nancy Smithner
M.A. in Theatre Certification K-12, and Social Studies 7-12: Prof. David Montgomery
Ed.D./Ph.D.: Dr. Philip Taylor, Director, Educational Theatre
82 Washington Square East
Pless Hall, 2nd floor annex
New York, NY 10012