This research-based PhD is designed for individuals who intend to pursue positions as academics, researchers, scholars, curriculum developers, and educational consultants. You may choose to pursue doctoral study in three areas: Drama in Education, Applied Theatre, or Theatre for Young Audiences and Play Production.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Our PhD provides comprehensive research and artistic training that will equip you with the knowledge and skills to have significant impact on scholarship in educational theatre.
You will gain a foundation in education, cognate study, research electives, and course work in a specialized research methodology, as well as develop your expertise in one of three areas of specialization:
- Drama in Education (i.e., studies in drama/theatre curriculum, special education, integrated arts, assessment and evaluation)
- Applied Theatre (i.e., studies in community-based theatre, theatre of the oppressed, the teaching artist, diversity and inclusion)
- Theatre for Young Audiences and Play Production (i.e., studies in acting, directing, dramaturgy, playwriting, dramatic literature, arts-based research methodologies)
Working closely with faculty who are leaders in the field, you’ll conduct cutting-edge and innovative practice-based research that addresses the most pressing questions in the cultural and educational arenas. You’ll also receive personal mentoring and advisement from program faculty, as well as those from the larger Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions; the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development; and other NYU schools that have resonance with interdisciplinary, practitioner-led, and arts-based research modalities.
You will have the opportunity to participate fully in all Educational Theatre programming, including:
- Study abroad programs in Puerto Rico, London, and Dublin
- Main-stage productions in our Blackbox Theatre and the historic Provincetown Playhouse
- Annual conferences related to the program’s areas of specialization; you’ll also have access to grants and funds for conference participation and research
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Jonathan Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now