This practice-based doctorate is designed for those who intend to pursue leadership positions in the practicing professions, preparing candidates for senior positions as principals, superintendents, arts administrators, researchers, curriculum developers, policy analysts, educational consultants, and theatre practitioners. You may pursue doctoral study in one of three areas: Drama in Education, Applied Theatre, or Theatre for Young Audiences and Play Production.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Through a broadly designed and individualized curriculum, you will develop your artistic praxis and the leadership skills needed to transform today’s learning communities in a variety of educational, cultural, and vocational contexts.
The degree emphasizes collaborative and practitioner-based study, providing comprehensive research and artistic training that equips you with the knowledge and skills to have significant impact in the worlds of educational theatre, arts policy, and practice.
In particular, you will develop authority in one of three areas of specialization:
- Drama in Education (i.e., studies in drama/theatre curriculum, special education, integrated arts, assessment and evaluation)
- Applied Theatre (i.e., studies in community-based theatre, theatre of the oppressed, the teaching artist, diversity and inclusion)
- Theatre for Young Audiences and Play Production (i.e., studies in acting, directing, dramaturgy, playwriting, dramatic literature, arts-based research methodologies)
Working with premier faculty in the field, you’ll conduct research that addresses the most pressing questions in the cultural and educational arenas. The degree offers personal mentoring and advisement from doctoral faculty in Educational Theatre, as well as from the larger Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions; the NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development; and other schools at NYU that are interdisciplinarily related to your EdD.
You will have the opportunity to participate in:
- Study abroad programs in Puerto Rico, London, and Dublin
- Main-stage productions in our Blackbox Theatre and the historic Provincetown Playhouse
- Annual conferences related to the program’s areas of specialization; additionally, EdD students have access to grants and funds for conference participation and research
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Jonathan Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now