The NYU Wind Symphony (formerly University Concert Band) performs musical repertoire of serious artistic merit written by diverse composers. The NYU Wind Symphony will perform a full season of concerts annually, including special chamber wind repertoire opportunities and creative works for music majors. The ensemble explores both significant, traditional repertoire and new repertoire by living composers who write for woodwinds, brass, and percussion. Led by Dr. Jason Noble, the ensemble seeks to provide a 21st century medium by which significant music for the emerging wind repertoire can be explored, examined, refined, and performed in an atmosphere of musical excellence, shared responsibility, creative inquiry, and progressive philosophy. In 2021-2022, the ensemble will embark on a program to commission works by BBIA (Black, Brown, Indigenous, Asian) and underrepresented composers, with a goal of contributing to the growing and evolving body of repertoire for winds and percussion. The ensemble is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity, and to the concept of student voice and student choice. A focus on both performance excellence (the “what”) and performance understanding (the “why”) provides the educational and theoretical framework by which the course material is delivered. The NYU Wind Symphony is a partner with the College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA), and the National Association for Music Education (NAfME). The NYU Wind Symphony supports the mission of …And We Were Heard, the Institute for Composer Diversity, The MayDay Group, Women Band Directors International (WDBI), and Minority Band Directors National Association (MBDNA).
Who Can Join
All Instrumental Performance majors and non-performance majors are invited to join the NYU Wind Symphony.
Fall 2021 Audition Information
- Sign up for a woodwind audition.
- Flute and bassoon students should prepare both the O1 and O2 packets.
- Write to Kaitlyn Walker for audition materials for saxophone.
- Students interested in auditioning for the Broadway Orchestra should prepare an etude and/or movement on each of their instrument/s.
- Non-performance and non-Music Ed majors should prepare an etude or movement from a piece of their choice.
- Any questions regarding woodwind auditions should be directed to Kaitlyn Walker.
- Sign up for a brass audition.
- Write to Kaitlyn Walker for audition materials for euphonium and tuba.
- Any questions regarding brass auditions should be directed to Kaitlyn Walker.
Percussion: Percussion Performance majors only
- Auditions will take place Tuesday, September 7, 2021, beginning at 7:10 PM in the Percussion Penthouse on the 13th floor of 35 West 4th Street.
- There will be no time slot sign ups. All students should arrive at 7:10 PM.
- All students should prepare the entirety of the percussion audition packet.
- Any questions regarding percussion auditions should be directed to Sean Statser.
Rehearsals take place in the Kimmel Center Eisner Lubin Auditorium (room 401). All matriculating members are required to register for the ensemble as a course for 0-3 credits, per your degree requirements.
NYU Wind Symphony (Fall and Spring): Mondays, 7:10–9:10 PM, and Wednesdays, 7:10–9:10 PM
Note: smaller chamber selections will be rehearsed primarily on Wednesdays, and the full ensemble (all brass, all woodwinds, all percussion) will rehearse together on Mondays.
Graduate students should register for University Concert Band (NYU Wind Symphony) MPAME-GE 2083.001 (Class # 4900)
Undergraduate (NYU Wind Symphony) students should register for MPAME-UE 1083.001 (Class # 12056)
Dr. Jason Noble, Conductor, email@example.com
Dr. Elise Sobol, Program Director, Music Education, firstname.lastname@example.org
Noreen Goldberg, Program Administrator, Music Education, email@example.com