NYU Chorale, the largest choral ensemble at New York University, is led by Dr. Paul Speiser. For 130 years, it has served the entire NYU community performing major works from the choral repertoire. The Chorale offers singers an in-depth performance experience of large-scale choral works.
Who Can Join
Choral Arts ensembles are open to the NYU community (students, faculty, and staff) by audition.
Singers who are interested in joining NYU Chorale -- but were not members of NYU Chorale in Fall 2022 -- must audition in person.
Auditions will be held on Tuesday, January 24, 2023 and Thursday, January 26, 2023 from 7:00-10:00 pm.
To request an audition, please fill out this FORM no later than Sunday, January 22, 2023. Prior to your audition you will receive an email with your specific audition time and location.
The audition will consist of:
- A vocal solo, chosen by you. Please limit it to no more than 2 minutes in length. (See below for important considerations regarding song selection.)
- Sight singing.
- Pitch matching and vocal range exercises.
The only thing you need to bring to your audition is a score for the pianist.
When choosing an audition song, consider the following:
- Select a song that allows you to demonstrate solid, vibrant, and healthy vocalism.
- Select a song that emphasizes your vocal gifts and your ability to communicate through singing.
- The song can be in any style or genre.
- The song can be in any language.
- The song is expected to be performed with piano accompaniment; a pianist is provided for the audition.
- Please bring a score for the pianist -- a photocopy is fine.
- While not required, it is recommended you sing your 2-minute song excerpt from memory.
- It is best not to confuse the adjudicator with your song choice. For example, it can be confusing if you indicate that you normally sing Soprano 1 in choir but then perform a song in a range, style, and/or vocalism that doesn’t reflect that.
Weekly rehearsals are scheduled for 7:10-9:10 pm on Tuesdays beginning on January 31, 2023.
Performances and Concerts
NYU Chorale will present a concert on Tuesday, May 9, 2023, at 8:00 pm in Loewe Theater, 35 W. 4th St.
Contact Paul Speiser, Coordinator of Choral Activities, at firstname.lastname@example.org