For Fall 2022, NYU Choral Arts will continue to offer only NYU Chorale. We look forward to reinstating additional Choral Arts offerings in future semesters as the University recently eased its Covid protocols related to distancing while singing.
NYU Chorale is led by Dr. Paul Speiser. Rehearsals are scheduled for 7:10-9:10 pm on Thursdays beginning on September 8, 2022, in-person.
NYU Chorale is the largest classical choral ensemble at New York University. For 130 years, it has served the entire NYU community performing major works from the choral/orchestral repertoire. The Chorale offers singers an in-depth performance experience of large-scale choral works.
Who Can Join
Choral Arts ensembles are open to the NYU community (students, faculty, and staff) by audition. Since only members of the NYU community have access to NYU buildings at this time, singers who are not members of the NYU community are not eligible to participate in NYU Chorale.
Preference may be given to NYU Steinhardt students whose programs of study require participation in an ensemble.
Everyone who wishes to be considered for NYU Chorale in Fall 2022 must audition in person, even if:
- you’ve been a member of NYU Chorale in previous semesters.
- you are required to be in an ensemble every semester.
Auditions will be held on Tuesday, August 30, 2022 starting at 11:00 am. If all the available times on Tuesday are taken, we will continue hearing auditions on the evening of Thursday, September 1, 2022.
To request an audition, please fill out this form no later than Sunday, August 28, 2022. Prior to your audition you will receive an email with your specific audition time and location.
The audition will consist of:
- A vocal solo, chosen by you. Please limit it to no more than 2 minutes in length. (See below for important considerations regarding song selection.)
- Sight singing.
- Pitch matching and vocal range exercises.
The only thing you need to bring to your audition is a score for the pianist.
When choosing an audition song, consider the following:
- Select a song that allows you to demonstrate solid, vibrant, and healthy vocalism.
- Select a song that emphasizes your vocal gifts and your ability to communicate through singing.
- The song can be in any style or genre.
- The song can be in any language.
- The song is expected to be performed with piano accompaniment; a pianist is provided for the audition.
- Please bring a score for the pianist -- a photocopy is fine.
- While not required, it is recommended you sing your 2-minute song excerpt from memory.
- It is best not to confuse the adjudicator with your song choice. For example, it can be confusing if you indicate that you normally sing Soprano 1 in choir but then perform a song in a range, style, and/or vocalism that doesn’t reflect that.
Weekly rehearsals are scheduled for 7:10-9:10 pm on Thursdays beginning on September 8, 2022.
For NYU’s Covid protocols as they relate to ensemble singing, please refer to NYU’s Performing Arts Covid Guidelines.
Performances and Concerts
NYU Chorale will present a concert on Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 8:00 pm in Loewe Theater, 35 W. 4th St.
Contact Paul Speiser, Coordinator of Choral Activities, at email@example.com