Throughout your program of study, you will engage in course work, hands-on learning, and research in the following areas as you prepare to become an innovative educator of music:
- Music research
- Music education foundations
- Urban and culturally relevant music pedagogies
- Technology-enhanced music teaching strategies
- How to develop a curriculum and build a repertoire suitable for your teaching practice
- Pedagogical techniques and methods for elementary and secondary school classrooms
- Approaches to teaching music with special learners
You'll also have opportunities to work on your musical craft by participating in a variety of performing ensembles and chamber groups directed by leading New York artists.
You will graduate eligible for New York State initial teaching certification as a teacher of music in all grades (Pre-K–12). Learn more about teacher certification and our degree's accreditation.