Learn the skills and strategies you need to teach Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish to college-aged and adult learners. You’ll learn pedagogical theories and methods, study applied linguistics, and complete a practicum internship teaching a foreign language to adult learners.Request Info
Official Degree Title
As you build your foundation toward a career teaching Chinese, French, Italian, Japanese, or Spanish to adults, you’ll learn:
- Teaching methods that provoke critical thought and inquiry-based learning
- An understanding of urban educational environments and the social, cultural, and economic factors that influence learning
- How to develop and implement innovative classroom strategies and curricula
Core Courses and Fieldwork
You'll begin your graduate program with course work in the theory and practice of teaching second languages and linguistic analysis, deepen your study of your target foreign language, and complete a culminating project. You'll also apply hands-on learning through observation opportunities in New York City schools.
A Community of Scholars
As a graduate student in our program, you’ll be welcomed into a community that encourages you to explore new ideas. Our faculty members are recognized leaders in the field, and are always available to students both through the courses they teach and individual advisement.
Study Abroad Opportunities
You’ll have opportunities to study the interrelationship among language, culture, and learning from an intercultural perspective in the Dominican Republic and China and Hong Kong, as well as take part in other NYU Steinhardt global study programs.
While this program does not lead to eligibility for teaching certification, you will graduate well prepared to take on a variety of career paths, including:
- Teacher in colleges, universities, community organizations, and immigrant resettlement agencies
- Curriculum developer, specialist, or evaluator
- Researcher, teacher educator, trainer, or program coordinator in governmental and nonprofit educational agencies and multinational corporations
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Shondel Nero, Program Director at email@example.com.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now