Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt

Washington Square fountain

Registration Policies


Adding Classes after the Add/Drop Deadline

After the Add/Drop deadline in a given term, students should consult their academic advisors regarding enrollment in additional courses. Students must have the permission of the instructor to add any courses after the add/drop deadline.

Withdrawing from Classes after the Add/Drop Deadline

A student, who for any reason finds it impossible to complete a course for which they have registered, should consult their advisor and submit a class withdrawal request via Albert. 

Courses dropped within the add/drop period will not appear on the transcript. After the Add/Drop deadline in a given term, students should submit a class withdrawal request via Albert and speak with their advisor regarding these requests. Any course(s) selected for withdrawal after the Add/Drop deadline will result in students receiving a W (withdrawal) on their transcript.

Students may not withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline, which is published in the Academic Calendar

Students may only withdraw from a course by taking action via Albert. Ceasing to attend, notifying this instructor of intent to drop or any other method, does not officially drop a student from a course. 

Students should consult with the Office of Financial Aid immediately if they change the number of units for which they are registered. Any change in total course load may affect a student’s financial aid package.

Term Withdrawals and Leaves of Absence

If a student is dropping all of their courses in a given term, they must complete a term withdrawal via Albert.

Students can only declare a Leave of Absence for the current term prior to the end of the add/drop period. Once the add/drop period has ended, students must complete a term withdrawal and if desired, declare a Leave of Absence for the following term(s).

Course Permission Form

Course Permission forms are available from the Steinhardt Registration Services forms website. Please consult with your advisor prior to form submission. All completed forms must be submitted to Steinhardt Registration Services at

This form gives permission to register: 

  • For a program of more than 18 units (20 is the maximum number of units)
  • For any course closed at enrollment limit but not over the room capacity, permission of instructor is required.

Cross-School Registration

You may take courses in other schools at NYU if you are a matriculated student and you meet the necessary prerequisites. Courses you take in the professional schools (Dentistry, Law, and Medicine) are generally not applicable towards your degree; however, exceptions may be made to this policy.

Students should make sure to select the appropriate course level (graduate or undergraduate level) when registering for courses to make sure that courses can apply toward your degree. Note that undergraduate courses cannot count toward graduate program requirements.

You may not be matriculated simultaneously in more than one school or program at New York University.

Full-Time or Half-Time Equivalency for Graduate Students

Effective Fall 2019, the University defines administrative full-time course work to be a minimum of 9 credits for graduate students (note that your graduate program may have a different threshold for academic full time status-please consult with your advisor.)

To qualify for full-time equivalency, students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 units or engaged in 30 hours per week on a combination of course work and/or appropriate activity required by the program. Students who request full-time equivalency cannot be employed full-time.

To qualify for half-time equivalency, students must be enrolled in a minimum of 4.5 units or engaged in 15 hours per week on a combination of course work and/or appropriate activity required by the program. Equivalency may be granted only for the purposes of visas, student loans, student loan deferral, TAP and Veterans’ Benefits requirements.

Equivalency credits can be granted only to students who are working on:

  • Fulfilling a required master's or doctoral internship/clinical practice
  • Writing a master's thesis or preparing a final experience
  • Preparing for a doctoral candidacy examination
  • A doctoral dissertation proposal
  • Doctoral dissertation research

Doctoral students should visit Forms and Checklist or the doctoral version of the equivalency form.

A student is not eligible for equivalency if they are not registered for any credit-bearing course work; therefore, a student registered for a leave of absence, maintenance of matriculation, or only zero credit courses cannot be granted equivalency.

Equivalency applies only to state (TAP), federal (Stafford), veteran's benefits and visa status. Scholarships are based on the actual number of enrolled credits, and equivalency credits do not apply. Steinhardt students must be registered for 12 units to receive any Steinhardt scholarship(s). If students have a non-Steinhardt scholarship, they should confirm with the scholarship/sponsor for their eligibility requirements. The NYU Office of Financial Aid reserves the right to adjust any financial aid package.

International students with F-1 and J-1 visas must maintain full-time (12 credit) programs during the fall and spring semesters, and are eligible for equivalency if they fulfill any of the requirements listed above. International students who wish to pursue part-time study for any other reason must do so through the Office of Global Services.

Signatures: The advisor’s signature is required at all times on the Full- or Half-Time Equivalency Form. Final approval by Steinhardt Advisement and  Registration Services is required.

Download a Full- or Half-Time Equivalency form.

Independent Study

An Independent Study is designed by the student and sponsoring faculty to investigate an area or field of specialization not normally offered in scheduled course offerings. It is an opportunity to work one-on-one with a faculty member to complete directed reading, a creative project and/or supervised research. Students must consult with their advisors before undertaking an Independent Study.

  • Only matriculated students are eligible to complete an Independent Study. Independent Study carries 1 to 6 units. The number of units will be determined by the work to be completed and should be comparable in rigor to that of a classroom course
  • Minimum hours required per unit: 45 hours of work per credits per term
  • Maximum credits allowed: As part of specialization: as determined by each department/program
    • Total allowed
      • For undergraduate students, a maximum of 6 units over the course of the undergraduate career
      • For graduate students, the number of units will be specified by the program
    • Cannot be used to satisfy liberal arts requirements
    • Cannot be used to satisfy professional education courses in the teaching professions
  • Registering for Independent Study: Students first meet with the academic advisors to determine if the student should undertake an Independent Study; they then meet with the sponsoring faculty to complete the NYU Steinhardt Independent Study form, obtaining the signatures of the sponsoring faculty member, the sponsoring faculty member’s department chair and the student’s advisor. Students should self-enroll in the course via Albert. 
  • Independent Study Title and Description: The title of an Independent Study will appear on the student transcript prefaced by the word “Independent Study”. The description of the Independent Study should include its theme which may be stated as a question or issue to be explored or creative technique to be examined; its type and scope, e.g. paper or special project. Students should use the Independent Study Form to have the correct title listed on their academic transcript. These forms should be submitted via email to:
  • Only full-time faculty may sponsor an Independent Study.

Maintenance of Matriculation and Time to Degree Completion

Students must maintain continuous matriculation every academic year until graduation. Typically, this is achieved by enrolling in courses in the fall and spring semesters. If a student is not registering for coursework in a given term, they should register for Maintenance of Matriculation (MAINT-UE 4747 or MAINT-GE 4747).

Undergraduate students must complete their degree within ten years. Graduate students (Masters, Advanced Certificate, Artist Diploma or professional doctoral (OTD or DPT) candidates) must complete their degree within six years. Doctoral candidates (other than ODT or DPT) should refer to Steinhardt’s doctoral advisement webpage for additional information.


The schedule of tuition refunds is determined by the University. The date on which the refund application is filed, and not the last date of attendance in class, is considered the official date of the student’s withdrawal. Students who withdraw by Albert will automatically be refunded tuition according to the published refund schedule.

Appeals for additional tuition refunds not in alignment with the University’s refund calendar must be submitted via email to the Committee on Student Refunds. These appeals should include any relevant information regarding extenuating circumstances or issues that impacted the ability to withdraw within the approved timeline

Please note that Registration and Services Fees are non-refundable.

Refund appeals must be in writing from the student to the Committee on Student Refunds via the following email:


For undergraduate and graduate students, the maximum number of credits permitted for enrollment per term (Fall and Spring) is 18 credits. Undergraduate students may, by exception, petition their department to permit them to register for up to 20 credits. Students who wish to seek this exception should be in direct contact with their academic advisor.

For J-term, the maximum number of credits permitted for enrollment for Undergraduate and Graduate students is 4 credits. There is no exception to this policy.

Summer session enrollment is dictated by a student’s academic program. Students should be in direct contact with their academic advisor.

Special/Non-Degree Students

For information on Graduate Special Non-Degree student policies, please review this student advisement page.

Time Conflicts

Students are not permitted to register for courses that create time conflicts.

Students taking courses online across multiple time zones may have perceived time conflicts in Albert due to the time difference. Students should reach out to for support in rectifying these errors.

Change of Major/Program of Study

Undergraduate students who are changing their major but remaining in Steinhardt must complete an official undergraduate Change of Major form to be approved by the new major department. Once completed, this form can be submitted to

Off-Campus Study

Students enrolled in degree programs at New York University are expected to take their courses, including those taken during the summer sessions and J-Term, at New York University. Permission to study at an institution outside of New York University is possible for certain programs and requirements, by exception only. Students should speak with their academic advisor regarding these requests. Off-Campus Study requests must be supported by a student’s academic department and are then formally reviewed for approval by Steinhardt’s Registration Services team. Unless written approval is granted from the Registration Services Team in advance of registration at another institution, students will not receive transfer credit for these courses. Students cannot request off-campus study during a term in which they are enrolled at NYU.

Students requesting permission to enroll in off-campus courses must submit an Off-Campus Petition form, approved by their academic advisor, to Steinhardt Registration Services at Please refer to the form for detailed requirements regarding off-campus course requests.

Class Standing (Undergraduate Students Only)

A student’s class standing is determined by the cumulative number of credits they have earned:

  • Freshman: 0-31 credits earned
  • Sophomore: 32-63 credits earned
  • Junior: 64-95 credits earned
  • Senior: 96 credits credits earned

Incomplete Grade Agreement

Students can request an incomplete grade only:

  • If a student is matriculated under exceptional circumstances
  • At the discretion of the instructor
  • If the student has already completed 50% or more of the coursework required

Note that visiting and/or non-degree students special students may not apply for an incomplete.

The instructor will determine the timeframe the student will have to complete the work, but it cannot be later than the last day of classes in the following term. If the student does not complete the outstanding work by the agreed date, the incomplete grade (I) automatically turns to an F. F grades cannot be changed.

Incomplete grades may result in failure to meet satisfactory academic progress by the Office of Financial Aid.

Pass/Fail Grading Option

Students can choose to opt out of a weighted grade for any course as approved by the student’s program advisor. Note that most major requirements are not eligible for elective pass/fail options. The pass/fail option must be requested by the pass/fail deadline, as outlined in the University's Academic Calendar. The maximum number of courses that can be taken as pass/fail may not exceed 25% of the student’s total program. Students must follow the pass/fail policy of their program and/or department; note that some programs have requirements that are more stringent than the 25% total program rule of Steinhardt overall. This does not include those courses in which pass/fail is the standard grading. Once a pass/fail option is selected, it can only be rescinded prior to the pass/fail deadline. Students can cancel a pass/fail request by emailing Steinhardt Academic Advisement and Registration Services at

Non-matriculated students are not eligible to select pass/fail as a grading option.

Download the Pass/Fail form.

Repeating Courses

Effective Fall 2015, if a student repeats a course, all grades are calculated in the GPA and appear on the transcript. Prior to Fall 2015, only the highest grade assigned for the course was calculated in the GPA.

Policies on Receiving Transfer Credit

Internal Transfer Policies for Undergraduate Students

Students who are transferring to or from the Steinhardt School to another division in New York University must apply to transfer through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Please refer to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website for policies related to Internal Transfer.

**Please note that if a student is applying to change their major within Steinhardt, this is not considered an Internal Transfer and students should not apply through Undergraduate Admissions. Students should instead consult with the advisors and program directors for their intended major and then complete a Change of Major Form with their current advisor and new advisor. This form should be submitted to the Steinhardt Registration Services Team at

External Transfer Credit for Undergraduate Students

Students who are transferring from accredited institutions outside of NYU to NYU Steinhardt are eligible to transfer up to 72 credits.

Transferability of courses follow the Undergraduate Admissions Protocols for College Courses Taken After High School

College Transfer Credits Taken While in High Schools

Credit may be awarded if:

  • You received a grade of “B” or better.
  • New York University offers corresponding courses.
  • In most cases, courses were taken at a college/university, with college/university students, and taught by college/university faculty.
  • Courses were not used to satisfy high school graduation requirements.
    • A letter from a student’s High School on school letterhead must be provided before credit can be awarded. This letter must state which courses were not used to satisfy high school graduation requirements. These letters should be submitted to the Steinhardt Registration Services Team at
External Transfer Credit for Graduate Students
  • Transfer units are accepted for a maximum of 30% of a student’s total graduate program.
  • You must complete a minimum of 24 units in residence at NYU Steinhardt at the graduate level.
  • Transfer units will be accepted only from accredited colleges and universities.
  • Course work must not have been applied to another degree and must have been completed within ten years of your expected graduation date with a grade of B or better -- courses taken pass/fail will not be accepted.
  • Students with transfer credit must submit an official transcript from their previous institution to the Steinhardt Registration Services team at Once the transcript is received, students should work with their advising team to make sure the credits are submitted for posting to the students’ academic records.This must be done prior to applying for graduation to ensure that reviewing and posting transfer credits will not delay a student’s degree conferral.

Doctoral students please consult the Doctoral Studies webpage for information.

Steinhardt Change of Major Protocols

Please see below for a summary of Steinhardt undergraduate departmental policies around Steinhardt changes of major for student:

Protocols for internal change of majors:

Students can apply in Spring and Fall for admission to APUG.

  • Rolling admission after university application deadlines.
    • July 1 deadline for Spring admission students who apply for a Fall (sophomore) start
  • Students must complete the Internal Transfer Application and have their faculty recommender submit their letter of support via the secondary form.
  • Students are required to be in at least their second semester of full-time study in the program they initially matriculated, have a GPA of 2.7 or higher, and have completed or be in the process of completing (with a minimum final grade of B- or better) one of the following Applied Psychology Core Requirements to be eligible for admission to the APUG Program:
    • APSY-UE 2 Introduction to Psychology and its Principles (Fall/Spring semesters)
      • Students should not be taking the Summer APSY-UE 2 course as it is meant for pre-college students
    • APSY-UE 10 Developmental Psychology (Fall/Spring semesters)
  • The latest students can begin their study at a new NYU school/program is first semester of their junior year
    • In very special circumstances, APUG has made an exception to this, but it requires the student to first meet with APUG Transfer Advisor (Amanda) and then with the APUG Program Director to review remaining degree requirements student would need to take to graduate “on-time” (or as close to on-time as possible)
  • Contact Amanda Holda ( for any change of major questions + requests

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Students can apply for Spring and Fall admission
  • Admission into the program will be completed in two rounds.
    • Students must submit a portfolio and artist statement through slideroom (Nov. 1st deadline for Spring).
    • Selected students will then meet with the undergraduate advisor or program director to determine if this program is the right fit.

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Students can apply for Fall or Spring admission.
  • Students must meet with an undergraduate advisor to discuss their eligibility for the program
  • Students must have at least a 2.75 GPA
  • Students must submit a “Statement of Purpose” describing their interest and goals in the program

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Students are eligible to transfer in the Fall or Spring
  • Students are recommended to have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA when applying
  • The latest students can begin their study in CSD is the first semester of their junior year
  • Email questions to:

Communicative Sciences and Disorders undergraduate curriculum

Protocols for internal change of majors:

MCC only accepts transfers for the Fall semester.

  • Steinhardt students must fill out the transfer application by April 1st for consideration for the following fall’s admission.
  • As of Fall 2020 and going forward, any student transferring to the MCC major from within Steinhardt, or elsewhere at NYU, must have completed MCC-UE 0001 and MCC-UE 003 before applying to transfer/transition, receiving a grade of B- or better.
  • Students are recommended to have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA when applying.
  • The latest students can begin their study at a new NYU school, college or campus is the first semester of their junior year.
  • Email for student questions:

Additional Media, Culture, and Communication transfer information

Instrumental Performance

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Students may transfer in Fall or Spring semester.
  • Students contact the Program Director to set up an audition/interview.
Music Business

Protocols for internal change of majors:

Music Education

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Students submit application/prescreen materials as listed on the Music Ed website by March 1st for fall matriculation ( Nov. 1st for spring matriculation)
  • Student will be contacted for an interview/audition
Music Technology

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Internal transfer procedures for Music Technology vary according to your current home school and program.
  • All internal transfer candidates must complete the following:
    • 1) meet with your current advisor to discuss a potential transfer,
    • 2) meet with the Music Technology advisor, Heather Hardy (, to discuss the degree requirements and the overall program, and
    • 3) take MPATE-UE 1801 Fundamentals of Music Technology and either MPATE-UE 1037 Electronic Music Synthesis or MPATE-UE 1047 Computer Music Synthesis before applying for transfer.
    • Please consult the program website for additional steps and full details.
  • Please consult the program website for additional steps and full details.
Theory & Composition

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Student must submit a google drive containing elements of a portfolio as outlined in the "How to Audition" page of each respective concentration:
Concert Music, Screen Scoring, and Songwriting
  • Their portfolio should correspond with the requirements outlined by the concentration they are most interested in pursuing. If they are interested in multiple concentrations they can simply include portfolio elements from both concentrations. Composition faculty will review the material and may also request an interview on a case-by-case basis.
  • Portfolios must be submitted by November 1st for Spring change of major or March 1st for Fall change of major.
Vocal Performance

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  1. The student should meet or be referred to the advisor (Monique) first to express interest. The advisor will meet with the student to make sure they qualify with the requirements below.
    Requirements: VP requires a minimum of 6 semesters in the program for a transfer student to be able to earn a VP degree. Therefore, any internal transfers who are a sophomore or higher would need to carefully consider the fact that transferring into VP might delay their expected graduation in case they need to take a few credits during their final semesters in order to complete six semesters of voice lessons, recitals etc.
  2. Once the advisor approves, they will send the application materials to the Program Director (Errik Hood) and the Program Administrator (Scott Allen).
  3. If the Program Director approves, then the Program Administrator will schedule them for an audition.

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Within our department we will accept internal transfers within Fall, Spring, and Summer.
  • Completed NUTR-UE 119 - Nutrition & Health course is strongly suggested.
  • An individual meeting with the undergraduate advisor is required to determine acceptance in which all credentials will be evaluated on an individualized case basis.

Protocols for internal change of majors:

  • Students may transfer in Fall, Spring, or Summer.
  • Students must have an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher

Interested students are required to meet with an undergraduate advisor to determine eligibility to transfer. They can email to schedule an appointment.

Auditing Classes

A student may audit classes with the permission of the instructor and their advisor. Auditors follow regular registration procedures, including payment of tuition. Regulations governing the auditing of courses are:

  • Only matriculated students may audit courses
  • Audited courses do not count in determining a student’s maximum course load
  • No more than two courses may be audited per term
  • Audited courses do not count toward full-time status
  • Full tuition and fees apply to audited courses
  • Tuition remission may not be applied
  • No units are earned nor are letter grades recorded.
  • An audited class cannot be taken again at a later date for a credit and a grade
  • No withdrawals or refunds are granted
  • Auditor status cannot be revoked once it has been requested.
  • Audit Request forms should be submitted to: Registration Services
  • Deadlines: All auditing requests must be submitted within the first week of the term regardless of the start date of the course. There is no appeal for late submission.
  • Signatures: The adviser and instructor’s signatures are required at all times