PhD and EdD Students
Our Doctoral Policies include general information and school policy for Steinhardt doctoral students. Students should be sure to consult the appropriate sections as they progress through course work, degree candidacy, appointing a dissertation committee, and submitting the proposal and dissertation.
Forms associated with these steps, as well as matriculation extension, reinstatement, and travel fund application, can be downloaded from the list below. Unless otherwise indicated, the forms below should be submitted to the attention of Nancy Hall in The Office of Doctoral Studies, Pless Hall, 2nd Floor.
Forms and Checklists
- Doctoral Degree Check Sheet - Use this form to keep track of your doctoral course requirements.
- Application for Doctoral Candidacy - File this form approximately three weeks prior to taking the candidacy examination and/or submitting your candidacy paper(s).
- Doctoral Candidacy Results Form (DEPARTMENT USE ONLY) - This form should be filed by the program or department faculty after a student has satisfied the candidacy requirement. Note: a signed memo or email may also be used, but must include the result (pass, deferred pass with condition, or fail) and the effective date.
- Request for Appointment of Dissertation Committee - File this form when you are ready to request the appointment of your dissertation committee chairperson or your complete dissertation committee.
- Instructions for Filing Dissertation Proposals - Review these instructions in advance of submitting your dissertation proposal for review.
- Dissertation Proposal Cover Sheet - File this form with your dissertation proposal copies.
- Proposal Review Outcome (DEPARTMENT USE ONLY) - This form is filed by the dissertation committee chair or proposal review panel coordinator after the student has completed the proposal review.
- Instructions for Filing for Final Oral Examination - Review these instructions in advance of submitting your dissertation for final oral examination.
- Approval Form for Final Oral Examination
- Dissertation Copyright Guarantee Statement
- Final Oral Examination Report Form (DEPARTMENT USE ONLY) - This form is filed by the dissertation committee chair immediately after the final oral examination of the dissertation.
- Inter-University Doctoral Consortium - File this form to apply to take courses at participating schools.
- Request for Extension of Doctoral Matriculation - File this form to request an extension of the doctoral matriculation period.
- Request for Reinstatement of Lapsed Doctoral Matriculation - File this form if you have allowed your doctoral matriculation to lapse.
- Doctoral Full- or Half-Time Equivalency Form - File this form to maintain full or half-time status when registered for fewer than 12 (full-time) or 6 (half-time) credits. Eligible students may apply for equivalency status for the purposes of international student visas, student loans, student loan deferral, or as a condition of funding.
- Doctoral Leave of Absence/Exit Interview - File this form to request a leave of absence or to terminate your doctoral matriculation.
- Tuition Award Application -- Doctoral Fellows and Research Assistants - Eligible NYU Steinhardt Doctoral Fellows and Research Assistants should use this form to apply for tuition awards immediately after registering for courses.
- Grants and Awards Application Forms: