As an international student, it is in your best interest to apply early! This will allow enough time between being admitted to a program and the start of the program to complete all international applicant steps via the NYU Office of Global Services and obtain the required F1 Student Visa from your countries consulate or embassy.
As such, International students must complete the MPAP Summer Programs Application in full by the Priority Application Deadline that correlates with your program of interest or by the Final Application Deadline if your program does not require a Priority Application Deadline.
Note: International student application requirements vary for programs occurring abroad (i.e. programs not on Washington Square Campus).
International Student Application/Requirements Check List:
- Complete the MPAP Summer Programs Application.
- Submit proof of English language proficiency.
- If admitted into your program the next step is to obtain the required F-1 or J-1 student visa.
- Within 24-48 hours of accepting your spot in the program, you will receive an email with instructions for submitting your I-20/DS-2019 Application and processing fee.
- After submitting your I-20/DS-2019 Application, follow the instructions provided by the Office of Global Services (OGS) until visa completion.
- Once on campus, international students must attend the international student check-in. Exact date/time/location is provided at student orientation.
Proof of English Proficiency (Required to Complete Application Step-1)
International students who are not already in the US on an F-1 or J-1 visa must provide proof of their English language proficiency.
English Language Testing Requirements:
If English is not your native language, you may be asked to show your proficiency by taking one of the following tests (results must be from the last two years):
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test)
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
- PTE Academic (Pearsons Test of English Academic)
- C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency)
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery)
- iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency)
Who is exempt from English language proficiency testing?
Exemption will be given in the following circumstances:
- If your native language is English;
- If you have been studying in a school or college/university where the sole language of instruction is English for at least 3 full years at the time of your application;
- If your education has been completed entirely in schools/colleges/universities where the language of instruction is English.
If either of the last two options apply to you, you can submit a copy of a transcript that shows at least 3 full years of instruction at a school taught solely in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in your email that you are seeking an exemption from English language proficiency testing.
Do you have a minimum score requirement?
We do not have any minimum test score requirements, but competitive applicants will receive:
- 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT
- 7.5 and above on the IELTS Academic
- 70 and above on the PTE Academic
- 191 and above on the Cambridge English Scale
- 84 and above on the MELAB
- 4.5 and above on the iTEP
If you are UNABLE to submit your proof of English language using one of the formats listed above, you must email MPAP.Summer@nyu.edu detailing your reason why and be sure to include the name of the program you are applying for. We will contact you to discuss alternative options.
I-20/DS-2019 and Visa Information
NYU requires students enrolling in courses (this includes summer students) to be at a status that would allow study such as a F-1 or J-1 visa. The NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) can assist you in obtaining an I-20 or DS-2019 to process your F-1 or J-1 visa. Once you have been admitted to a program and have accepted your spot, you will receive instructions for submitting the I-20/DS-2019 documentation. Contact OGS with specific visa related questions at email@example.com. You must be enrolled as a full-time student. All MPAP Programs are full-time and zero credit courses.
* International students are NOT permitted to study on a B-1 (tourist) visa
Please Note: International students currently studying in the US (at NYU or at another academic institution) who currently are in a F-1 or J-1 visa status are not required to submit additional visa documentation in order to enroll in summer courses at NYU, unless they need to transfer their SEVIS record to NYU. Please contact OGS directly if this is the case.
International Student Check-In
Upon arrival in the United States, all international students must attend an International Student Check-In with the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) in order to be in compliance. Prior to the start of your program, you will receive information from OGS about your scheduled check-in date and time.
Mandatory Health Insurance
At NYU, Student Health Insurance is required for F-1 and J-1 students.
- International students receiving a student visa from NYU are automatically enrolled in a Summer Term health insurance policy (comprehensive plan), but students have the option to downgrade to the basic policy if eligible.
- Comprehensive and Basic Health Insurance Plan Fee Structures:
- 4 week program: Comprehensive Plan = $300; Basic Plan = $272
- 3 week program: Comprehensive Plan = $225; Basic Plan = $204
- 2 week program: Comprehensive Plan = $150; Basic Plan = $136
- 1 week program: Comprehensive Plan = $75; Basic Plan = $68
- To downgrade your Health Insurance plan, you must contact the NYU Student Health Center to see if you are eligible. For more information, visit the Student Health Center website. Please note that the deadline to make downgrade your coverage will be June 5, 2020.
If you are in need of further assistance please contact the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) with specific visa related questions at firstname.lastname@example.org, and be sure to include that you are applying to one of the "Steinhardt MPAP Summer Programs" and your full name. You can also contact MPAP Summer Programs at email@example.com or 212 998 5438.