International Student Application/Requirements Check List:
- Complete the MPAP Summer Programs Application.
- Submit proof of English language proficiency.
An international student is defined by our office as a student who is a non-US citizen or permanent resident and is not currently attending a US school. Individuals from other countries who are currently in the US on a student visa sponsored by another institution are considered domestic applicants and do not need to meet our international student deadlines or submit proof of English language proficiency.
English Language Proficiency
International students who are not already in the US on an F-1 or J-1 visa must provide proof of their English language proficiency.
English Language Testing Requirements:
If English is not your native language, you may be asked to show your proficiency by taking one of the following tests (results must be from the last two years):
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test)
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
- PTE Academic (Pearsons Test of English Academic)
- C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency)
- iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency). We will accept results from the in-person or online version.
- Duolingo (Duolingo English Test)
We do not accept results from the IELTS Indicator, the TOEFL ITP Plus for China, TOEFL Essentials, or the PTE Academic Online.
Scores can be self-reported on the application or sent directly from the testing agency. If you are sending scores from the testing agency, follow the below instructions:
- For the TOEFL iBT, use NYU's code 2562.
- For the IELTS Academic, search for "New York University" and release results to Undergraduate Admissions as opposed to one of our school or colleges. Similarly, for the PTE Academic, C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency, select "New York University" as opposed to one of our specific NYU schools or colleges. Searching for "NYU" will not return any results; you must search using our official name.
- For the Duolingo English Test, please follow the instructions outlined in Duolingo's "How do I send my Duolingo English Test results to institutions?" documentation to send your score to NYU for free.
Who is exempt from English language proficiency testing?
Exemption will be given in the following circumstances:
English is your first/primary language
- You already completed (at the time of application submission) three or more consecutive academic years in a curriculum where the only language of instruction was English
If the last option applies to you, you will be able to submit a copy of a transcript that shows at least 3 full years of instruction at a school taught solely in English as part of your application.
Do you have a minimum score requirement?
We do not have any minimum test score requirements, but competitive applicants will receive:
- 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT
- 7.5 and above on the IELTS Academic
- 70 and above on the PTE Academic
- 191 and above on the Cambridge English Scale
- 4.5 and above on the iTEP
- 125 and above on the Duolingo English Test
If you are UNABLE to submit your proof of English language using one of the formats listed above, you must email MPAP.Summer@nyu.edu detailing your reason why and be sure to include the name of the program you are applying for. We will contact you to discuss alternative options.
Please note that NYU advises against a B-1/B-2 visa or Visa Waiver (ESTA) for international students. If you require NYU sponsorship for a visa, only F-1 or J-1 is advised. International students who are admitted will receive further instructions about applying for an I-20 in order to secure their student visa via email after accepting their spot.
Please note that international students currently studying in the US (at NYU or at another academic institution) who currently are in a F-1 or J-1 visa status are not required to submit additional visa documentation in order to participate in an NYU summer program, unless they need to transfer their SEVIS record to NYU. Please contact OGS at firstname.lastname@example.org directly if this is the case.
International Student Check-In
Upon arrival in the United States, all international students must participate in an International Student Check-In with the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS), which may be virtual or in-person, in order to be in compliance. Prior to the start of your program, you will receive information from OGS about the check-in process.
Mandatory Health Insurance
At NYU, Student Health Insurance is required for F-1 and J-1 students. International students receiving a student visa from NYU are automatically enrolled in and billed for NYU’s health insurance plan. Students participating in a program on the Washington Square campus are enrolled in the comprehensive health insurance plan, but have the option to downgrade to the basic policy if eligible.
To downgrade your Health Insurance plan, students must contact the NYU Student Health Center to see if they are eligible. For more information, they can also visit the Student Health Center website. Please note that the deadline to downgrade coverage for the summer will be June 5, 2022.
Insurance fees are listed below under the additional fees section.
In addition to tuition and living expenses, international students on an NYU-sponsored visa will also be assessed the following charges.
- SEVIS Fee: This is a $180-$200 charge assessed by the US government as part of the application process for a I-20 or DS-2019.
- International Student Fee: This is a $90 charge assessed per semester or term and is part of the cost of attending NYU.
All students in F-1 and J-1 status are automatically enrolled in and billed for the NYU-sponsored student health insurance plan. The cost of insurance varies depending on plan and duration of your program.
Health Insurance Fees for Washington Square Programs:
- 1 week Workshop (Comprehensive Plan: $78, Basic Plan: $70)
- 2 week Workshop (Comprehensive Plan: $156, Basic Plan: $140)
- 3 week Workshop (Comprehensive Plan: $234, Basic Plan: $210)
If you are in need of further assistance please contact MPAP Summer Programs at email@example.com or 212 998 5438.