NYU Symphony and NYU Chamber Orchestra are two of the premier ensembles at New York University, led by Principal Conductor Adam Glaser. NYU Symphony presents a full season of concerts every year, while NYU Chamber Orchestra presents concerts every September through December.
Who Can Join
All Instrumental Performance majors are required to audition for placement in either NYU Symphony or NYU Chamber Orchestra. Currently matriculating non-performance majors are also eligible to participate in either orchestra, based on audition and availability. Auditions take place at the beginning of both the fall and the spring semesters.
- Instrumental Performance majors who are NYU Chamber Orchestra members during a given fall semester are typically placed in NYU Symphony during the following spring semester.
- Non-performance majors who are accepted into the NYU Symphony for a given fall semester may be able to continue playing in the orchestra the following spring semester based on the availability of such positions.
Fall 2019 Audition Dates and Sign-Up Forms
Strings: Friday, August 30 and Saturday, August 31, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM at 35 W. 4th St., 7th floor
Woodwinds and brass: Sunday, September 1, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM at 35 W. 4th St., 7th and 8th floors
Percussion: Tuesday, September 3, 7:00-10:00 PM at 35 W. 4th St., 13th floor
- Click here for the strings sign-up form.
- Click here for the woodwinds and brass sign-up form.
- All percussion majors should be present at the percussion date and time listed above. All non-major percussionists should contact Sean Statser for an audition.
- Violin and viola
- Performance major violins and violas assigned to NYUO¹ should prepare the NYUO¹ packet.
- Performance major violins and violas assigned to NYUO² AND non-performance majors should prepare the NYUO² packet.
- Cello, double bass, flute, saxophone, all double reeds, all brass, and all percussion
- There is only one packet; all performance majors and non-performance majors should prepare this packet.
- Any excerpts on woodwind auxiliary instruments are not required, but for performance majors, it is highly recommended that you prepare these if you have access to said instrument.
- Performance major clarinets, please consult your program director and administrator as to which packet to prepare.
- Non-performance major clarinets, please prepare the NYUO² packet.
An NYU ID is required to view the sheet music.
Rehearsals take place in the Global Center for Academic & Spiritual Life, 238 Thompson St., 5th Floor Grand Hall.
All members are required to register for the orchestra as a course for 0-3 credits.
NYU Chamber Orchestra (fall) and NYU Symphony (spring): Mondays, 12:30 PM-3:00 PM & Fridays, 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
- Graduate students should register for MPAGC-GE 2087.002.
- Undergraduate students should register for MPAGC-UE 1087.002.
NYU Symphony (fall): Mondays and Thursdays, 3:30-6:00 PM
- Graduate students should register for MPAGC-GE 2087.003.
- Undergraduate students should register for MPAGC-UE 1087.003.
All contacts can be reached through MPAP-Orchestras@nyu.edu
Professors Stephanie Baer and Jonathan Haas, Co-Directors of NYU Orchestras
Professor Adam Glaser, Principal Conductor of NYU Orchestras
Meghan Todt Williams, General Manager of NYU Orchestras
Kevin Kuh, Operations Manager of NYU Orchestras