Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt

Music Business students in class

Music Business Graduate FAQ

Music Business Graduate FAQ

Q: What courses will I take to complete my degree?
A. View curriculum requirements for the master's degree

Q: How can I receive information via e-mail about the program?
A. Please e-mail us with any additional questions you may have, and please be sure to reference that you are interested in the graduate program. You may also call 212-998-5398.

Q: Whom should I contact if I am interested in visiting the school?
A. While the Music Business Program does not offer program-specific campus tours, prospective students have the following options:

  1. NYU Graduate Admissions offers campus tours for prospective professional and graduate students.
  2. NYU Steinhardt Graduate Admissions also offers walking tours to prospective graduate students, specifically for Steinhardt.
  3. Please e-mail us at if you are interested in sitting in on a music business graduate class while visiting NYU, or call 212-998-5398. We can arrange for class visits only during the Fall semester.

Q: How do I request an application?
A. To apply for graduate study, follow these instructions. You can apply online only. The phone number for Steinhardt Graduate Admissions is 212-998-5030.

Q: Do you accept new students for the Spring semester?
A. No, only for the Fall semester.

Q: Is it possible to apply for early decision?
A. The Graduate Music Business Program only has one date for application submissions. Visit the How to Apply webpage for application deadline information.

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?
A. Please visit the Paying for Your Education webpage or call 212-998-4444.  

Q: What types of financial aid are offered? Does the program offer assistantships?
A. NYU offers need-based aid, as determined by the FAFSA, and merit-based aid, determined by past academic achievement. The program does not offer assistantships. 

Q: Will I be required to take an internship?
A. Music industry internships are required for graduate students, normally starting in their second semester. Most student internships are in New York City, taking full advantage of the opportunities provided by many of the world's music institutions. Internships are available in all areas of the music industry, including publishing companies, performance venues, digital distributors, mobile content providers, concert management agencies, record labels, music television, and music magazines, among others. See more information about internships

Q: Is an audition required for the master's program?
A. Master's applicants do not need to audition for the program. 

Q: Is the GMAT or GRE required for the master's program?
A. NYU Steinhardt does not require these standardized tests for M.A. programs. We do recommend, however, that if you do take these tests you send your scores to NYU, and submit a copy of the score sheet with your application materials.

Q: Do I need a music or business undergraduate degree to be admitted to the master's program?
A. No, we have students in the Music Business graduate program with a very wide range of undergraduate degrees, from music to business, liberal arts to engineering.

Q: If I did not major in business, how can I demonstrate my quantitative skills?
A. We recommend that you either take the GRE or coursework (for credit) in areas such as accounting, statistics, or economics. The coursework does not need to be part of your undergraduate degree, but you will need to provide an official transcript with your application.

Q: What is the minimum or average GPA?
A. We don't provide a minimum or average GPA because successful applicants come from such a wide range of academic and professional backgrounds. We look for a very strong academic record.

Q: What part of the application is weighted the heaviest?
A. In order to get a full picture of an applicant's suitability for the MUBG program, the admissions committee looks at all parts of each application equally.

Q: How long does it take to complete the master's degree?
A. Full-time students can complete the degree in two years, which may include one or two summers. Part-time students take an average of six credits (two courses) every semester. Other part time plans of study are possible.

Q: Are there opportunities to study abroad for graduate credit?
A. During the January intersession, we offer either a course on Global Music Management at NYU London or a course on Emerging Models and Markets for Music in Rio de Janeiro.

Q: What are the costs of tuition and fees?
A. View current tuition and fees information.

Q: Is on-campus housing offered for graduate students?
A. There is limited graduate housing available, up to a maximum of one year. Visit the Graduate Student Housing.

Q: Can I speak with a faculty member / current student / alum?
A. Please call the Music and Performing Arts office at 212-998-5424 to schedule a phone, virtual or in-office appointment with one of our faculty advisers. You can also email us to ask about contacting a current student, based on availability. 

Q: What special admissions requirements are there for international students?
A. View application guidelines for international graduate students.

Q: Where can I find information about on-campus jobs?
A. Visit the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development for on-campus employment opportunities.

Q: Are there specific software/hardware requirements for those who apply for the music technology track?
A: There are no specific tools or software required in order to apply for the music technology track. We ask that you adequately describe your skills and experience in your Personal Data Outline to give us an idea of your familiarity with music and business technology.

Q: If I am denied admission into the music technology concentration or to the standard MUBG track, can I automatically be considered for the other option?
A: These are two separate majors, so if you are denied admission you may not be considered for the other option. You would be eligible to re-apply for either option for the following year.

Q: Can I take a Statistics course at a local community college in order to satisfy the Statistics prerequisite?
A: Yes. You must provide us with an official transcript with the grade you received for the course. The course must have been taken for credit, and should be the equivalent to one semester long. We prefer that the course includes training in statistical software, either SPSS or a business-based software. Grades are reviewed before students get confirmation that the pre-requisite has been met.

Q: Do I need to be in the accelerated global option to take advantage of the intersession courses abroad in London and Rio?
A: No, as a Music Business graduate student, you are eligible to apply for the intersession courses taught abroad in London and Rio without being in the accelerated global option. If you are in the accelerated global option, these courses are required.