Learn to navigate a fast-paced and compelling industry while studying in New York City, the world's music business capital. Combine cross-disciplinary course work in business, finance, the arts, and more, and gain real-world experience working with industry leaders. Tailor your degree with electives in areas such as concert management, promotions, and strategic marketing.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Throughout your program of study, you’ll learn how to apply business and administration theory to problems that have a strong aesthetic and artistic dimension. You’ll also gain a foundation in defining, critiquing, and evaluating the structure and operation of the music business; and learn how to devise organizational objectives, make strategy decisions to reach goals, and propose changes and innovations to take the industry forward.
You'll also acquire core competencies in these five areas:
- Financial and market development for music goods and services, including strategic analysis and planning
- Legal, technological, and competitive environment for the music business
- Leadership in complex organizational environments for the music business
- International environment for the arts and the impact of the global economy
- Applications of research methodologies in the field
In addition to providing structured courses, our curriculum promotes individual choices and career development through an interactive classroom atmosphere and completion of research requirements. You'll have opportunities to participate in extracurricular activities such as the University Program Board, radio station WNYU, and the Music Business Student Ambassador Board.
In order to succeed in an industry that is ever-changing and evolving, you’ll learn the structure of the industry – its systems, practices, rules and regulations – and then explore the reasons behind and changes in that structure. By developing a critical analysis and interpretation of the industry structure, you’ll more deeply understand the field and become a more effective and well-rounded leader and entrepreneur.
Intended for students with an academic or professional background in technology, this concentration will develop your understanding of the interrelations between music businesses and consumer technologies, audio for games and other interactive applications, sound design in the digital music space, and emerging platforms for the generation and exploitation of music.
In their final MA projects, students in the concentration have:
- Developed mobile apps
- Started businesses
- Proposed business and technology policies and strategies to government agencies
- Used technology to promote emerging music trends abroad
- Built new IP (intellectual property) assets for start-up firms using recorded music samples
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.