Prepare to work as a theatre artist and educator in arts organizations, private and community colleges, galleries, museums, and a broad range of cultural settings. You’ll develop new strategies focused on teaching and learning through drama while experimenting in the creation and presentation of theatre for diverse audiences.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Your faculty and advisors will collaborate with you to create a program that authentically reflects your burgeoning interests, needed support, and relevant expertise, ensuring that you learn:
- How to design, implement, and evaluate culturally responsive theatre by and for myriad constituents
- How to appraise and analyze the changing roles of theatre and education within complex and politicized transnational spaces
- How to identify gaps in the field from theoretical, practical, and aesthetic perspectives, generating new knowledge accordingly
- How to formulate, implement, and modify teaching and learning strategies using drama frameworks to explore content
- How to experiment in the creation and presentation of theatre in formal or informal settings, using a variety of methods and structures
You can choose an area of specialization from Applied Theatre, Drama Education, and Play Production for Artists and Educators; in addition, you may opt to craft your own pathway of study.
You can complete this degree while working, and have options for global study or a three-summer course sequence.
This degree is designed with flexibility and individuality at the forefront. You will complete course work that includes:
- Seminal research in the field
- Investigations of pedagogy and aesthetics
- Practical application of educational theatre content
You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in the Educational Theatre program’s two annual main-stage shows, author production-specific curriculum guides and supplementary materials, design the accompanying learning segments, and facilitate workshops with members of our student audiences.
Alumni pursue aesthetic, educational, and administrative opportunities that do not require certification, including positions at private and community colleges, arts organizations, galleries, museums, educational outreach centers, behavioral health and prevention facilities, community and housing programs, youth and adult detainment centers, and theatre/arts agencies
You’ll also be well prepared to continue your graduate study in the form of a terminal degree, seeking an EdD or PhD in a related field.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Jonathan Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now