Skip to main content

Search NYU Steinhardt

Student with work

How to Enroll

BFA Studio Art/MA Teaching Art, All Grades Dual Degree

This dual degree allows undergraduate students the opportunity to pursue a master's degree and teaching certification while they focus on their art practice.

Application Deadlines

Rolling Deadline

How to Enroll

Step 1: Are you eligible to enroll?

This dual BFA/MA program is only open to currently enrolled BFA in Studio Art students in good academic standing (maintaining a 3.0 GPA). Interested students should make an appointment with your undergraduate Academic Advisor during Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior year to review the five-year program and curriculum.

Step 2: Learn more about the graduate program

After speaking with your undergraduate Academic Advisor, you may wish to learn more about the graduate MA degree in Art+Education and Initial Certification for Teaching Art, All Grades. You can find out about upcoming information sessions at the bottom of our main page. You can also email Art+Education Academic Advisor, Meghan Elizabeth Wilcox with specific questions or to sit in on a class.

Step 3: How to enroll

Students communicate their interest to their undergraduate advisor in their freshman, sophomore, or junior year in order to begin taking graduate-level courses during their junior and senior years. Students are strongly encouraged to enroll in at least one graduate-level course by the Spring term of their junior year to confirm their interest in the dual degree option. The course ARTED-GE 2015 Race, Education, and the Politics of Visual Representation, offered during the Fall semester, is a prerequisite for application to the MA degree.

Those students who wish to move ahead will gain initial approval from their academic advisor and then set up a meeting with the Director of the Art+Education program. After initial approval, students will create an academic plan to take as many graduate level courses that fulfill undergraduate elective opportunities with their undergraduate advisor. Students who continue in good academic standing will submit an official request to transition to the Masters Degree by February 1 of their Senior year. Students will also complete a Federal Student Financial Aid form (FAFSA) if eligible, by February 1 of their senior year. Students do not need to complete an official application for the MA degree through the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Becoming a Graduate Student

During Your Sophomore and Junior Years

You will meet with your undergraduate advisor to express interest in the dual degree BFA/MA program and discuss options for graduate-level courses to be taken during your junior and senior years. Make sure that you plan to register for the course ARTED-GE 2015 Race, Education, and the Politics of Visual Representation during the Fall semester of your junior or senior year. Attend an information session to get more information about the MA in Art+Education program and request to sit in on other graduate classes to find out more about the program and meet current students.

During Your Senior Year

During the fall semester you will meet with your Undergraduate Advisor to confirm that you have taken at least 2 classes (including ARTED-GE 2015 Race, Education, and the Politics of Visual Representation) and are planning to officially join the MA in Art+Education and Initial Certification for Teaching Art, All Grades program. With the support of their undergraduate academic advisor, the student’s graduate academic advisor will submit an official request to transition to the Masters Degree on their behalf by Feb. 1 of their Senior year. To be considered for any type of financial aid at the graduate level (including scholarships), you must submit a FAFSA renewal between October 1 and February 1 of your senior year. When submitting the form, be sure to indicate your new status as a graduate student. Once you have submitted your paperwork to transfer into the MA program in February of your Senior year, you will make an appointment with your Graduate Academic Advisor to register for graduate level classes in the fall of your fifth year.

Your Fifth Year

Before the beginning of the fall semester of your fifth year of study (your first as a graduate student), you will attend new student orientations for the MA program and for completing the required fieldwork experiences. You will then complete the remaining credits for your master’s degree during the Fall, January, Spring, and Summer semesters, as well as complete the required New York state tests to receive your Initial Certification upon graduation. 

Important Information about Financial Aid

Please note that financial aid at the graduate level is different than at the undergraduate level. In fact, some types of aid available to undergraduate students are not available once you become a graduate student. You can be considered for graduate scholarships and financial aid once your official request to join the MA program is received by submitting a Federal student aid form (FAFSA) by February 1. You must maintain a full or part time course load once you become a graduate student to remain eligible for state and school-based aid and scholarships.

Contact Us

Meghan Elizabeth Wilcox, Graduate Advisor, 

Jessica Hamlin, Art+Education Faculty,