International students must apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) via the Office of Global Services (OGS) to receive work authorization and especially to receive any form of payment including hourly wage, travel reimbursement, stipend, etc.
- Get an internship offer
- Get the academic advisor approval and enroll for the internship course
- Submit CPT authorization request to OGS online
- Apply for a Social Security Number if you don’t already have one
Key important things to note:
- You must be a full-time student in the U.S. for at least one academic year to qualify for CPT
- The dates of the internship and the CPT authorization must fall within the dates of the internship course
- You may not work before the CPT start date or after the CPT end date listed on your I-20, and your CPT authorization cannot be modified or changed retroactively after your employment start date.
Review the detailed CPT application steps and eligibilities on the OGS website carefully to understand the process and prepare the needed documents in time. Workshops and info-sessions are offered to help students get CPT authorization.