Application Extended: Still Accepting Applications
Through an interdisciplinary approach, you’ll integrate the natural and social sciences with education and fieldwork to help you gain an understanding of the profound effects of human activity on the planet. Explore the role of education in solving environmental problems in multiple settings, from the city to the rainforest.Request Info
Official Degree Title
You will work with faculty from a wide variety of disciplines, including education, history, philosophy, law, journalism, science, health, and the arts, and learn how to:
- Critique the profound effects of human activity on the planet
- Identify and apply environmental theories, ethics, and policies across a broad range of formal and nonformal settings, both locally and globally, such as schools, cultural institutions, government agencies, and non- and for-profit organizations
- Describe national and local models of environmental education, analyze contemporary environmental issues, and implement environmental education as an interdisciplinary tool in fostering environmental literacy and sustainability
- Develop competencies in environmental education, including program design, curriculum development, evaluation, grant writing, policy analysis, and nonprofit management
Class sizes are small, with the majority offered in the evenings to accommodate working students. Full-time students typically complete the program in three semesters. Part-time students may take up to two years to complete the program.
Elective courses within the program and across other departments allow you to tailor your program of study to your interests in areas such as environmental justice, curriculum design, teacher education, policy studies, ecology, youth education, and more.
Practical Learning Experiences
Through required fieldwork, curriculum projects, and other environmental initiatives, you’ll use New York City as your laboratory, gaining a unique urban experience in environmental education and making ample use of the city’s vast resources. You’ll get experience in sustainability education through our extensive network of internships – which often lead directly to jobs upon graduation – at leading organizations such as the American Museum of Natural History, Audubon New York, the Jane Goodall Institute, the High School of Environmental Studies, the New York City Department of Sanitation, and the United Nations.
Graduates of NYU Steinhardt's Environmental Conservation Education master's live and work in the United States and around the world. They direct projects, evaluate programs, consult, advocate for change, develop new policies, and create and run their own companies or nonprofit organizations – all in the name of educating the public about environmental conservation and sustainability.
Our alumni hold positions as conservation educators, environmental consultants, and more in:
- City, state, federal, and international agencies
- Parks, nature centers, zoos, and botanical gardens
- Nonprofit organizations
- Public and private schools
Alumni also go on for doctoral study in a variety of related disciplines.
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Dr. Mary Leou, Program Director, at email@example.com or Dr. Raul P. Lejano, Professor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Information Session
Program Benefits for International Students
If you’re an international student, you may be able to work in the United States after graduation for an extended period of time. Most students studying on F-1 visas will be eligible for 12 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) off-campus work authorization. F-1 students in our program may also be eligible for the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) OPT extension, allowing you to extend your time in the United States to pursue degree-related work experience for a total of 36 months or 3 years. For more information on who can apply for this extension visit NYU’s Office of Global Services: STEM OPT.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now