Learn to effectively teach children at all ability levels by preparing for your New York State initial teaching certification in both general and special education for grades 1–6. Through field experiences, student teaching, and course work that links pedagogical theory and practice, you’ll learn to work collaboratively to deliver a quality education to children in both general and special education settings.Request Info
Official Degree Title
You'll take courses that link the theory and practice of childhood education and childhood special education as you gain:
- Strategies to adapt curricula, learning environments, and assessments to address the different intellectual, emotional, and behavioral needs of students
- A solid foundation in pedagogy and core liberal arts subjects such as mathematics, English/language arts, and social studies
- Approaches for working with children with emotional/behavioral disabilities, including educating children with severe/multiple disabilities
Hands-On Learning Experiences
You will complete one semester of classroom observation and two semesters of student teaching, one in childhood general education and one in childhood special education. Through student teaching experiences, you will be able to reflect on, question, and refine your knowledge and skills as you work with children at different age levels and with diverse needs and abilities.
As a student in our graduate program, you'll have several unique opportunities to study teaching and learning abroad:
Our graduates understand that special education is neither a place nor a group of students. Rather, special education refers to specialized services, environment modifications, differentiated instruction, adapted curricula, or other supports provided to students with disabilities. We encourage our students to view all children and their families as individuals with varying degrees of skills, and untapped potential for quality lives in schools, work, recreation, and in their communities.
Upon graduation, you'll be eligible for initial certification in New York State for both childhood education and special education, grades 1–6. You’ll be prepared for an in-demand career as a:
- Teacher in general, inclusive, and special education classrooms in public and private elementary schools
- Special education teacher in hospitals, day-treatment centers and other clinical settings, and in group homes and agencies such as the Young Adult Institute
- Charter school developer or administrator for specialized education programs