Examine critical education issues and acquire the skills to work with students with or without disabilities. You’ll build on your pedagogical training to become an effective teacher for children in special education settings, and upon graduation you’ll be eligible for New York State professional teaching certification in special education at the childhood level, or grades 1–6.Request Info
Official Degree Title
Through general and specialized pedagogical courses, you’ll learn:
- Strategies to adapt curricula, learning environments, and assessments to address the different intellectual, emotional, and behavioral needs of students
- Approaches for working with children with emotional/behavioral disabilities, including educating children with severe/multiple disabilities
Student Teaching Experience
You’ll complete one semester of classroom observation and two semesters of student teaching in special education settings. Through student teaching, you will be encouraged to reflect on, question, and refine your knowledge and skills as you work with children at different age levels and with diverse needs and abilities.
Culminating Seminar in Childhood Special Education
The Integrated Seminar in Childhood Special Education links theory and practice. In this collaborative seminar, you will have the opportunity to share, analyze, and extend your professional experiences, including your collaborations with other professionals and parents.
Practical Teaching Strategies
Courses that offer theories and teaching strategies include Foundations of Curriculum for Diverse Learners, Strategies for Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities, and Individuals with Disabilities in Schools and Communities.
This program is open to participants who have a bachelor's degree and who hold certification or are eligible for certification in childhood education. Upon completion, you are eligible for New York State professional teaching certification in special education at the childhood level, or grades 1–6, as well as prepared for careers including:
- Teacher in general, inclusive, and special education settings in public and private elementary schools
- Special education teacher in hospitals, day-treatment centers, and other clinical settings, and in group homes and agencies such as the Young Adult Institute
- Charter school administrator or developer in specialized education services
If you have any additional questions about our degree, please feel free to contact Audrey A. Trainor, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
Advance your personal and professional journey – apply to join our community of students.Apply Now