Tsu-Hsin Howe is Associate Professor and Department Chair in the Department of Occupational Therapy. Her primary research interest focuses on examining motor behaviors in children who are at high-risk for developmental delay with a special interest in feeding-related issues.
Dr. Howe teaches classes on pediatric and research topics at both the master's and doctoral levels. Her clinical expertise offers students a unique perspective in an area of occupational therapy that is critical to the field. Her courses include Theoretical Bases for the Scope of Practice, Theoretical Foundations for Intervention, Developing a guideline for Intervention and Departmental Seminar. She also gives guest lectures on topics related to her specialty.
Dr. Howe has practiced in both community and hospital-based settings for over 20 years, the past 15 of which as a pediatric clinical specialist in Mount Sinai Medical Center of New York City. She has treated infants and children with prematurity, developmental disabilities, congenital heart diseases, neurological deficits, gastrointestinal disorders, and learning disabilities. Her specialty expertise includes neonatal occupational therapy and feeding management. Dr. Howe is trained in neuro-developmental treatment in pediatrics and is certified to administer the Neonatal Oral Motor Assessment Scale.
Referred Journal Articles
- Wang, T.-N., Howe, T.-H., Liang, K.-J., Chang, T.-W., Shieh, J.-Y., & Chen, H.-L (2021). Bimanual motor performance in everyday life activities in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. European Journal of Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine, 57 doi: 10.23736/S1973-9087.21.06504-7
- Stern, B., & Howe, T.-H. (2020) Hand Therapists’ Knowledge and Practice-Related Beliefs About Pain Science: A Survey Study. Journal of Hand Therapy, S0894-1130(20)30146-0. doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2020.07.007.
- Wang, T.-N., Liang, K.-J., Howe, T.-H., Chen, H.-L., Huang, C.-W., Wu, C.-T. (2020). Spatial Attention Disregard in Children with Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 74, 7402205090. doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2020.038851
- Howe, T.-H., Hinojosa, J., & Sheu, C.-F. (2019). A qualitative study of Latino-American mothers’ perspectives on feeding their young children. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 73, 7303205110. doi:10.5014/ajot.2019.031336.
- Howe, T.-H., Sheu, C.-F., & Wang, T.-N. (2019). Feeding pattern and parental perception of feeding issues of preterm infants in the first 2 years of life. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 73, 7302205030. doi:10.5014/ajot.2019.029397
- Shi, Y., Howe, T.-H., Hinojosa, J., & Wang, J. (2018). Enhancing professionalism and quality of service by establishing an occupational therapy association in the People’s Republic of China. Annals of International Occupational Therapy, 1(1), 41-48. doi: 10.3928/24761222-20180212-06
- Howe, T.-H., Sheu, C.-F., & Hinojosa, J. (2018). Teaching Theory in occupational therapy using a cooperative learning: A mixed method study. Journal of Allied Health, 47 (1), 66-71.
- Howe, T.-H., Chen, H.-L., Lee, C. C., Chen, Y.-D., & Wang, T.-N. (2017). The Computerized Perceptual Motor Skills Assessment (CPMSA): A new visual perceptual motor skills evaluation tool for children in early elementary grades. Research in Developmental Disability, 69, 30-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2017.07.010