Richard C. Richardson Jr. is professor emeritus of higher education at NYU and past chair of the Department of Administration, Leadership and Technology. His recent studies have examined policy and higher education performance, structural designs, and systemic change for state higher education systems. He completed a Ford Foundation funded research project in 2007 designed to improve understanding of the linkages between federal and state policies and college and university performance in the US, Mexico and Canada. The project also served as a vehicle for training younger policy scholars. A book reporting results, Policy and Performance in American Higher Education, was published by Johns Hopkins University in 2009. (http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title_pages/9518.html)
Richardson is the author or co-author of seven additional books, including: Designing State Higher Education Systems for a New Century (1999), Achieving Quality and Diversity: Universities in a Multicultural Society (1991), Fostering Minority Access and Achievement in Higher Education (1987), Literacy in the Open Access College (1983), Governance for the Two-Year College (1973) and The Two-Year College: A Social Synthesis (1965 Richardson received his BS from Castleton State College (Vermont), his MA from Michigan State University, and the Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin. In 1983, Richardson was named a Distinguished Graduate of the College of Education at UT. He also holds an honorary doctor of letters degree from Lafayette College.
Richardson and his wife, Patricia, currently reside in Pagosa Springs, Colorado.
- A Conceptual Framework for Comparative Studies of Higher Education Policy: An AIHEPS Working Paper
- Martinez, Mario and Richard C. Richardson, "A View of the Market through Studies of Policy and Governance," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol 46, No 6, January 2003, pp. 1-20.
- Richardson, R.C. Jr. and Gerardo E. de los Santos, Statewide Governance Structures and Two-Year Colleges, in Community Colleges: Policy in the Future Context, edited by Barbara Townsend and Susan Twombley, Westport, Connecticut: Ablex Publishing, 2001
- Richardson, R.C. Jr. 'La Educacion superior en los Estados Unidos: una decada de fomento," Revista De La Educacion Superior, V. XXIX, Abril-Junio de 2000, pp 81-93.
- Richardson, R.C. Jr., The Role of State and Institutional Practices, in Access Denied: Race, Ethnicity and the Scientific Enterprise. George Campbell Jr., Ronni Denes, and Catherine Morrison Editors, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000, pp 207-212.
- Richardson, R.C. Jr., Bracco, K., Callan, P., and Finney, J. Designing State Higher Education Systems For a New Century. Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press, 1999.
- Callan, P., K.R. Bracco and R. C. Richardson Jr. State Policy for a Time of Adaptive Change, in Seeking Excellence through Independence, Terrence MacTaggert Editor, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1998