Patricia A. Gentile
Professional Program Director; Clinical Assistant Professor of Occupational Therapy
Patricia A. Gentile, OTR/L, DPS is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Occupational Therapy. She earned a Doctor of Professional Studies in Occupational Therapy from NYU and a Master's Degree in Health Administration from Hunter College. Dr. Gentile is a graduate of the Occupational Therapy Program at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Along with many years of clinical experience in adult rehabilitation, Dr. Gentile has extensive experience in home health and hospital administration. Prior to coming to NYU, she served as Administrator for the Department of Surgery and the Level 1 Trauma Center at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center. While Administrator, she became interested in traumatic injury prevention and has subsequently presented at conferences on the role of occupational therapy in this area. She has co-authored articles on traumatic falls in the older adult population.
Dr. Gentile has been a frequent presenter at state and national conferences on a variety of subjects, including injury prevention, occupational therapy leadership and administration. In 2020 she was a recipient of the Steinhardt GSO Award, and in 2011 was listed as a Distinguished CUNY Alumnus.
Dr. Gentile’s current interests include health care leadership, health advocacy and the impact of social determinants on health and occupation.
- PUBLICATIONS: REFEREED JOURNALS
- Chippendale, T., Gentile, P. (2021). Barriers and facilitators to accepting long term care at home: An analysis of licensed home care service agency websites. Home Health Care Management and Practice, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1084822321994779
- James, M.K., Robitsek, J.R., Syed, M.S., Gentile, P.A., Ramos, M., Perez, F. (2018). Clinical and non-clinical factors that predict discharge disposition after a fall. Injury 49(5) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2018.02.014
- James, M., Saghir, M., Victor, M., Gentile, P.A. (2017). Characterization of fall patients: Does age matter? Journal of Safety Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2017.12.010
- Chippendale, T., Gentile, P. A. and James, M. K. (2017). Characteristics and consequences of falls among older adult trauma patients: Considerations for injury prevention programs. Aust Occup Ther J. DOI: 10.1111/1440-1630.12380
- Chippendale, T., Gentile, P. A., James, M. K., and Melnic, G. (2017) Indoor and outdoor falls among older adult trauma patients: A comparison of patient characteristics, associated factors and outcomes. Geriatric Gerontology International, 17: 905–912. https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.12800
- PUBLICATIONS: NON-REFERRED
- Gentile, P. A. (2017). Occupational therapy in the perioperative surgical home. OT Practice, 1 (7), p. 22-24.
- PUBLICATIONS: CHAPTERS
- Gentile, P. A. (2020) Documentation of occupational therapy services. In D. Powers- Foltz Gillette & S. Gutman (Eds.) Occupational Therapy for Physical Dysfunction (8th Ed.). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer
- Youngstrom, M. J. & Gentile, P. A. (2018). Supervision. In B. Schell & G. Gillen (Eds.) Willard & Spackman's Occupational Therapy (13th Ed.). Philadelphia : Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins