NYUO¹ and NYUO² are two of the premier ensembles at New York University, led by Principal Conductor Adam Glaser. NYUO¹ presents a full season of concerts every year, while NYUO² presents concerts every September through December.
Who Can Join
All Instrumental Performance majors are required to audition for placement in either NYUO¹ or NYUO². Currently matriculating non-performance majors are also eligible to participate in either orchestra, based on audition and availability. Auditions take place at the beginning of both the fall and the spring semesters.
- Instrumental Performance majors who are NYUO² members during a given fall semester are typically placed in NYUO¹ during the following spring semester.
- Non-performance majors who are accepted into NYUO² for a given fall semester may be offered a position in NYUO¹ for the following spring semester based on the availability of such positions.
Fall 2019 Audition Dates and Sign-Up Forms
Strings: Friday, August 30 and Saturday, August 31, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM at 35 W. 4th St., 7th floor
Woodwinds and brass: Sunday, September 1, 10:00 AM-6:00 PM at 35 W. 4th St., 7th and 8th floors
Percussion: Tuesday, September 3, 7:00-10:00 PM at 35 W. 4th St., 13th floor
- Click here for the strings sign-up form.
- Click here for the woodwinds and brass sign-up form.
- All percussion majors should be present at the percussion date and time listed above. All non-major percussionists should contact Sean Statser for an audition.
- Violin and viola
- Performance major violins and violas assigned to NYUO¹ should prepare the NYUO¹ packet.
- Performance major violins and violas assigned to NYUO² AND non-performance majors should prepare the NYUO² packet.
- Cello, double bass, flute, saxophone, all double reeds, all brass, and all percussion
- There is only one packet; all performance majors and non-performance majors should prepare this packet.
- Any excerpts on woodwind auxiliary instruments are not required, but for performance majors, it is highly recommended that you prepare these if you have access to said instrument.
- Performance major clarinets, please consult your program director and administrator as to which packet to prepare.
- Non-performance major clarinets, please prepare the NYUO² packet.
An NYU ID is required to view the sheet music.
Rehearsals take place in the Global Center for Academic & Spiritual Life, 238 Thompson St., 5th Floor Grand Hall.
All members are required to register for the orchestra as a course for 0-3 credits.
NYUO¹: Mondays, 12:30 PM-3:00 PM & Fridays, 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
- Graduate students should register for MPAGC-GE 2087.002.
- Undergraduate students should register for MPAGC-UE 1087.002.
NYUO²: Mondays and Thursdays, 3:30-6:00 PM
- Graduate students should register for MPAGC-GE 2087.003.
- Undergraduate students should register for MPAGC-UE 1087.003.
All contacts can be reached through MPAP-Orchestras@nyu.edu
Professors Stephanie Baer and Jonathan Haas, Co-Directors of NYU Orchestras
Professor Adam Glaser, Principal Conductor of NYU Orchestras
Meghan Todt Williams, General Manager of NYU Orchestras
Kevin Kuh, Operations Manager of NYU Orchestras