Led by by Stanley Figaro, this ensemble performs a wide variety of choral music from around the world. Open to all students, staff, and faculty.
Who Can Join
Choral Arts ensembles are open to the NYU community (students, faculty, and staff) by audition.
Singers who are interested in joining University Singers must audition in person.
Auditions will be held on Tuesday, January 24, 2023 and Thursday, January 26, 2023 from 7:00-10:00 pm.
To request an audition, please fill out this form no later than Sunday, January 22, 2023. Prior to your audition you will receive an email with your specific audition time and location.
The audition will consist of:
- A vocal solo, chosen by you. Please limit it to no more than 2 minutes in length. (See below for important considerations regarding song selection.)
- Sight singing.
- Pitch matching and vocal range exercises.
The only thing you need to bring to your audition is a score for the pianist.
When choosing an audition song, consider the following:
- Select a song that allows you to demonstrate solid, vibrant, and healthy vocalism.
- Select a song that emphasizes your vocal gifts and your ability to communicate through singing.
- The song can be in any style or genre.
- The song can be in any language.
- The song is expected to be performed with piano accompaniment; a pianist is provided for the audition.
- Please bring a score for the pianist -- a photocopy is fine.
- While not required, it is recommended you sing your 2-minute song excerpt from memory.
- It is best not to confuse the adjudicator with your song choice. For example, it can be confusing if you indicate that you normally sing Soprano 1 in choir but then perform a song in a range, style, and/or vocalism that doesn’t reflect that.
Weekly rehearsals are scheduled for 7:10-9:10 pm on Thursdays beginning on February 2, 2023.
Performances and Concerts
University Singers will present a concert on Saturday, May 13, 2023, at 8:00 pm in Loewe Theater, 35 W. 4th St.
Contact Paul Speiser, Coordinator of Choral Activities, at firstname.lastname@example.org.