Each student takes a core set of graduate-level courses in occupational therapy theory, research methods, and clinical practice. The remaining courses can be taken either from Department of Occupational Therapy electives in such areas of assistive technology, cognition, neurology, orthopedics, pediatrics, and rehabilitation, or from electives in other New York University schools, divisions, and programs including special education, applied psychology, nursing, curriculum and instruction, and other related fields.
This 30-credit degree may be completed in one year of full-time study (Fall, Spring, and Summer), depending on your course selections. Course selection is made by advisement on an individual basis to design a course sequence that meets the student's unique needs and interests.
Core Courses (18 Credits)
- New Student Seminar OT-GE 2000
- Research Methods in Occupational Therapy OT-GE 2025
- Research Interpretation of Occupational Therapy OT-GE 2725
- Health Advocacy & Administration OT-GE 2750
- Theoretical Foundations for Intervention OT-GE 2762*
- Developing a Guideline for Intervention OT-GE 2763
- Ethics and Analytical Reasoning OT-GE 2764
OT Electives/University Electives (12 Credits)
(See possible OT electives below. Others are by advisement.)
- Cognitive Evaluation & Intervention OT-GE 2744
- Geriatrics Evaluation & Intervention OT-GE 2749
- Mental Health Evaluation & Intervention OT-GE 2745
- Neurological Evaluation & Intervention OT-GE 2743
- Orthopedic Evaluation & Intervention OT-GE 2741
- Pediatric Evaluation & Intervention OT-GE 2748
- Rehabilitation Evaluation & Intervention OT-GE 2742
- Electives in such fields as assistive technology, special education, applied psychology, curriculum and instruction, social sciences, and related areas
For course descriptions, see NYU Steinhardt's Graduate Bulletin.
MA/OTD Single-Decision Option
If you already earned a bachelor's degree in occupational therapy, you have the additional option of applying directly to the clinical doctoral OTD and earning your master's during the educational process. After completing the MA degree, you can continue uninterrupted onto the OTD without having to submit another admissions application.Learn More About the Option