Dual Degree Curriculum: MA Costume Studies/MS Library and Information Science
Students transfer nine NYU credits to Palmer LIU and eight Palmer credits to NYU to complete the required credits for the two degrees.
- ARCS-GE 2012 Literature & Methodology of Costume Studies (3 credits)
- ARCS-GE 2061 Costume History I: 1500-1804 (3 credits)
- ARCS-GE 2062 Costume History II: The 19th Century (3 credits)
- ARCS-GE 2063 Costume History III: The 20th Century (3 credits)
- ARCS-GE 2064 Costume History IV: Contemporary Dress (3 credits)
- LIS 510 Introduction to Library & Information Science (3 credits)
- LIS 511 Information Sources & Services (3 credits)
- LIS 512 Introduction to Knowledge Organization (3 credits)
- LIS 514 Introduction to Research in LIS (3 credits)
- LIS 785 Mentoring (4 credits)
- 15 credits of ARCS courses (5 courses)
- 12 credits of Palmer elective courses (4 courses)
ARCS Culminating Experience
- ARCS-GE 2022 Research in Costume Studies (2 credits)
- ARCS-GE 2301 Final Project in Costume Studies (1 credit)
The dual degree program provides unique opportunities for orientation, mentorship, and professional training. The program structure includes:
- Boot Camp
Four half days of introduction to research library functions and discussions with librarians or information professionals in various special libraries, i.e. museums, archives, media, etc.
A minimum of two (maximum of four) internships of 35 hours per semester in relevant institutions.
- Assessment meetings
One group meeting each semester to collectively discuss student’s current internship experiences and one individual meeting each semester with the Dual Degree Program Coordinator.
- Professional Development
A module to prepare students in the areas of job search, cover letter and resume writing, and interviewing.
Program Total: 61 points