All prospective and transfer students must apply for admission to NYU Steinhardt before scheduling an audition. Apply for undergraduate study.
Schedule Your Audition
Early Decision I and II applicants: Submit a live audition video through GetAcceptd.
For the continued safety of all involved, Piano Studies will accept Spring 2022 auditions in two ways.
- Applicants may submit video auditions via the GetAcceptd protocol. Audition videos may be submitted at any point after the application for admission. Those who submit videos prior to the audition video deadline of February 13, 2022, will be given priority in consideration for scholarships and teaching appointments.
- Under current NYU and public health guidelines, applicants may request an in-person audition (subject to NYU approval).
• Request an in-person audition by emailing Dr. Yoojung Kim
• Include the following information for yourself and one (1) guest for in-person access: first name, last name, email address, phone number, and audition date
• You and your guest will each receive an email from NYU Campus Safety with instructions to upload your proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
• Once approved to be on campus, you and your guest will be required to use the Daily Screener to enter NYU buildings on the day of your in-person audition. You must also bring a copy of your confirmation email from NYU Campus Safety.
• NOTE: If you do not receive a confirmation email from NYU Campus Safety or cannot complete the Daily Screener, you will not be permitted to enter NYU buildings. Unapproved guests will not be permitted to enter NYU buildings.
• NYU follows prevailing guidance from the CDC, New York State and New York City Health Departments, and NYU’s medical consultants. NYU reserves the right to adjust and/or cancel in-person auditions if public health circumstances change or evolve. For the latest information on NYU’s COVID actions and policies, please visit the NYU Returns hub.
Early Decision applicants:
- November 1, 2021: Early Decision I live audition video deadline
- January 1, 2022: Early Decision II live audition video deadline
All other undergraduate applicants:
- Friday, February 11, 2022
- Saturday, February 12, 2022
- Sunday, February 13, 2022: Video audition deadline
- Friday, February 18, 2022
- Saturday, February 19, 2022
Audition Details and Requirements
Audition repertoire must be memorized and works played in their entirety, except where indicated. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis; applicants with questions should contact Dr. Marilyn Nonken.
For video auditions, individual works may not be edited, and it is preferred that all repertoire be recorded in a single take.
Undergraduate applicants must present four works, selected from five possible eras: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, and Post-1945. The following, sometimes overlapping timespans should be used as a reference. No two pieces chosen should be from the same time period or overlapping years.
- Baroque (to ca. 1750)
- Classical (ca. 1750–ca. 1830); a complete classical sonata is preferred
- Romantic (ca. 1830–1899); a single movement of a sonata is acceptable
- Modern (1900–1945)
- Post-1945 (1945–2022); original compositions may also be offered as a supplement, but not instead of this requirement.