All prospective and transfer students must apply for admission to NYU Steinhardt before scheduling an audition. Apply for undergraduate study.
Schedule Your Audition
Early Decision I and II applicants: Submit a live audition video through GetAcceptd.
All other undergraduate applicants: Use our online audition form to schedule your audition after you have applied. NOTE: There is no pre-screening. Video auditions, submitted via the GetAcceptd protocol, are only required for Early Decision applicants and those who cannot audition in person.
Early Decision applicants:
- November 1, 2019: Early Decision I live audition video deadline
- January 1, 2020: Early Decision II live audition video deadline
All other undergraduate applicants:
- Friday, February 21, 2020, 9 am–6 pm
- Saturday, February 22, 2020, 9 am–6 pm
- Sunday, February 23, 2020, 9 am–6 pm
Audition Details and Requirements
The audition will take place at 75 3rd Ave, room C205. Audition repertoire must be memorized. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis for contemporary works; applicants with questions should contact Dr. Marilyn Nonken.
Undergraduate applicants must present four works, selected from five possible eras: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, and Post-1945. The following, sometimes overlapping timespans should be used as a reference. No two pieces chosen should be from the same time period or overlapping years.
- Baroque (to ca. 1750)
- Classical (ca. 1750–ca. 1830); a complete classical sonata is preferred
- Romantic (ca. 1830–1899); a single movement of a sonata is acceptable
- Modern (1900–1945)
- Post-1945 (1945–2020); original compositions are not acceptable
Compositions must be memorized. Those interested in using music should contact Dr. Marilyn Nonken.