Welcome to our International Students at NYU Steinhardt! Listed below are some of the many resources available to students who are studying at the graduate level and are part of NYU's international community.
International Student Advisor
The International Student Advisor, Nick Voelker, is available for:
- English language issues and tutoring services
- Information about the New International Graduate Student Seminar (E03.2003)
- General academic information
- Assistance with issues specific to international students
- Programs, events, and leadership opportunities at Steinhardt and the University
Counseling and Student Services, Office of Student Affairs
Office of Global Services
Please contact the Office of Global Services (OGS) for questions related to:
- Immigration status and requirements
- US tax Information
- Social Security cards
- Financial Aid
- Permission to Study Part-Time
- Permission to Study Part-time Application from OGS
Office of Global Services
English Language Tutoring Services
We are excited to offer English language tutoring services within Steinhardt's Office of Student Affairs. Tutoring is held in the Student Affairs office by faculty at NYU's American Language Institute by appointment only.
Students will be able to see tutors to improve their skills in writing and grammar, reading comprehension, speaking or listening skills, pronunciation, or presentation preparation. This will come at no cost to our students.
Full-Time Equivalency Information
All international graduate students studying on an F-1 or J-1 visa must be enrolled full-time (full-time equals registering for 12 credits per semester).
You may be granted three credits of equivalency for every 10 hours per week you spend on this work if you are a master's degree student and are
- completing a required internship, fieldwork, or practicum for your degree
- writing a required thesis
- completing a required final project or terminal experience (only three equivalency credits are granted for final projects or terminal experiences)
Download the full-time equivalency form. For more information contact Registration Services at +1-212-998-5055.
Doctoral Degree Students
Doctoral degree students are eligible for full-time equivalency if you are:
- preparing for the candidacy examination (three credits granted for one semester only).
- completing a required internship or clinical practice (School Psychology & Counseling Psychology students only).
- working under supervision on the topic for the dissertation, (three credits granted for one semester only).
- working under supervision on the proposal and with an approved dissertation chair (two full consecutive academic years - Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters).
- working on supervised research on the dissertation.
- Teaching Fellows, Research and/or Graduate Assistants in the School may receive six credits towards equivalency each semester.
Full-Time Equivalency or Permission to Study Part Time?
There is another option if you do not fulfill any of the above requirements to qualify for equivalency. IF you are in your first or last semester of study or have medical problems, please go to the OGS website for more information on the Permission to Study Part-time Application from OGS. If you are taking a leave of absence due to medical problems or other issues you would need to take additional steps and contact OGS.
Job Search Information for International Students
Stay informed about the great variety of programs, resources, and services offered through the Wasserman Center that can help with your career planning and job search. To subscribe to the International Students listserv, send a blank email from your NYU email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about the Wasserman Center, including on-campus employment, please visit the full Wasserman Center webpage and database.
You may be able to work in the United States after graduation for up to three years if you complete your studies in one of NYU Steinhardt's programs in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM). Learn more about Steinhardt's STEM majors on our STEM OPT page.